Join in the chat
Back to Forum
Cabot Financial Chasing Debt 9 Years After IVA Completion - Steve Connolly 2019-01-17 09:18:11
I entered into an IVA through yourselves which was completed in February 2010.

It seems that Cabot Financial has since 'bought' the debt from one of the original creditors (Egg).

I am now receiving letters and phonecalls asking to discuss my account.

So far my line with them is that "I have no financial association with yourselves" and I refuse to answer any of their security questions when they call me.

How can I end the harassment from them without acknowledging or 'activating' the debt again?

Replies

Re: Cabot Financial Chasing Debt 9 Years After IVA Completion - Jane 2019-01-17 13:10:42
If the debt was included in the IVA then it is gone! Also any debt from that long ago if it had not gone for court action would be statute barred anyway. You just tell them you were in an IVA and this debt was included in it - debt purchasers do buy large books of debt for pennies in the pound and some of those will be unenforceable as people have gone bankrupt, done an IVA or have not acknowledged the debt in writing for six years since the last contractual payment became due (unless the creditor had gone for court action before)but enough debtors will be there to make it worthwhile them chasing!

After the "statute barred" period of 6 years passes then acknowledgment of any "alleged"debt does not reactivate it. Under this time any acknowledgement restarts the clock for another 6 years!

[No Subject] - Steve Connolly 2019-01-23 08:48:58
Many thanks for your help!

Re: Cabot Financial Chasing Debt 9 Years After IVA Completion - Jane 2019-01-23 09:23:03
A pleasure and hope it is now sorted.

Thread is locked for replies, you can start a new one on the main page