Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byfixyfantastica
#164515 Oh good lord, i am really scared. i owe £298.00 on Council Tax and this has been passed to Bristow and Suitor. I have since moved house and told the council people that i would be temporarily moving back to my parents for 2 weeks before moving to London at the end of August. Yesterday, my sister has called when she returned from holiday going mad saying that she has had a bailiff call at her house (she lives at the end of the old road that i used to live on) for me and that they had left a note saying that i had to call them to arrange another visit from them. this was a week and a half ago. Then when i got home to my parents last night there was a note through the door from the same company saying that they had visited, leaving a number, saying that i had to call them to organise a time for them to come back to fill out a walking possession agreement. I can't let these people into my parents house and i don't have anything there that they can mark up for a WPA. i am literally living out of a suitcase until i move to London. I cannot afford to pay this off in one go until the 28th September when believe me, given the chance to this will all go in one go. I need to organise interim payments until then but can't let them visit my families addresses in order to organise some kind of arrangement... please does anyone have any advice to help me? I have been so silly and i know from reading other peoples posts on here that i don't have a massive debt, i am just so scared that my parents will find out and that the bailiff will return and try to take their things.
ByYogi Bear
#164516 Hi there,

I recommend you have a look at this National Debtline factsheet on Council Tax bailiffs:
http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/engla ... ouncil_tax

As you'll see, it otlines the procedure the bailiffs must follow, as well as what they can and cannot do - but the bottom line is that you need to make arrangements to start paying the debt as a matter of some urgency, I think.
Byfixyfantastica
#164517 Hi there, thanks for your reply... i have looked at the fact sheet and I'm still a little unsure. What i need to know is if they are going to call back do i have to let them in if i need to make payments? Or should they be able to take payments from me over the phone as i am at a temporary address?
ByYogi Bear
fixyfantastica wrote:Hi there, thanks for your reply... i have looked at the fact sheet and I'm still a little unsure. What i need to know is if they are going to call back do i have to let them in if i need to make payments? Or should they be able to take payments from me over the phone as i am at a temporary address?

Do NOT, repeat NOT, let them in! Because once in, they can return later at any time - breaking in if necessary - and seize your possessions. :evil:

You can try negotiating a payment arrangement over the phone, or you can write. If they insist they need to visit, to "discuss" payment, then simply refuse to have any further dealings with them, and tell them you want the debt referred back to the council so that you can negotiate with them instead.
Byfixyfantastica
#164527 Thanks - will the council take it back from them if i ask? I was told that they won't do that.. i should have come on here a lot quicker i think. Also is there a maximum of times that a bailiff will make a visit before handing the debt back to the council? Thank you so much for your help as well.
ByThe bear
#164980 You must try to sort this out by getting advice/offering the council a payment arrangement however small. What will happen otherwise is what happened to a friend of mine whose son tried to cover up a debt. She let the bailiff in not knowing who he was (she thought he was a carpet fitter)
ByBright Future
#165123 Whatever else, never open the door to a bailiff - I saw a tv programme recently where a bailiff put his foot forward to stop the householder closing the door on him. He was keen to get in and sieze goods to the value of the amount owing.

Either go back to the council and settle up or arrange instalment payments or go to the bailiffs office - if the council will not talk - and taking someone with you, arrange repayment.

If nothing else, be aware that council tax or any other tas recovery is no joke compared to other debts owing