Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Frosty92
#457193 Hi I'm Richard and I'm 20 years old, I'm new to this. I just joined today and I wanted to share what's happening to me right now and see if anyone could help me. I've been gambling for a few years now excessively and last night I really hit an all time low. After losing all of my own money on gambling I set up an overdraft on my bank account so I could carry on gambling. I am now £4500 in my overdraft. I owe another £2000 to a family member. No one knows of my gambling addiction and I don't know who to turn too. I don't have a job till January, I haven't a penny to my name. I can't afford Christmas and I don't know what I'm supposed to do? I've tired stopping gambling on many of occasions after big losses but then I'll have a small win and it all starts over again the greed controlling me and my actions. The only way out seems like to do something stupid. I seriously don't know what to do I've tried applying for a loan but I can't get one because of my credit.
By TalbotWoods
#457233 Hi and welcome

You have taken a bit step forward in dealing with your gambling, but as you are the first to admit you have not been able to stop.

Until you are able to stop you are goign to find it very very difficult to get control of your spending and debts.

Now the amounts of debt you are talking about is not that large, but they will grow all the time, unless YOU do something about it.

OK I STRONGLY suggest that you contact one of the following support staff at GamCare (http://www.gamcare.org.uk/) who provide support, information and advice to anyone suffering through a gambling problem.

The support is FREE, doesn't show on any bill, and is TOTALLY Confidential.

I appreciate that it can be very very hard to talk to people over the phone, but they also have forums, chatrooms, and more importantly a netline, where you can talk in a 'virtual' world with someone who has been through this.

If you do not want to identify yourself, that is fine, it is up to you.

BUT people who have used them, have successfully turned their lives out.

When you are in a position that you are no longer at gambling your money, then you will also be in the position to deal with all your other debts