Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bysteve36
#473053 Can this be correct I stopped paying Vodafone as they made it impossible for people to contact my business for a full week back in January 2013 I told them I would not pay them any more ustill this was resolved basically got laughed at now looking at my credit score they have turned a 35 pounds bill into over 6000 pounds and only put a default on my credit score in April 2016 now I have capquest trying to contact me any idease please thank you
ByJaneClack
#473072 This was answered on Ask the Expert.

That seems very odd. Have you really had no contact with them for this length of time - have you moved house for example?

You were liable for a contract and although you may have been very cross and not paid if they kept the contract open for 6 years it also seems odd.

However, this is now over 6 years old and if you have made no payment, nor contacted the creditor and they have not gone for court action, the debt is now statute barred. This means they cannot take you to court to enforce the debt.

If you go to www.nationaldebtline.org.uk you will find a factsheet on time limits for recovering debts which has template letters in and the Financial Conduct Authority's handbook explains that if you let them know a debt is statute barred they should not continue to try and collect it.
Bysteve36
#473078 How can they put it as a default though when I told them in 2013 I wasn't paying them why wait 3 years to put a default up and a bill for 6900 pounds from a 35 pounds a month contract some thing doesn't sound right to me
ByJaneClack
#473080 Unfortunately because they can if they wish. You have not paid them. You signed a contract and saying you would not pay does not negate that. I can understand your frustration and obviously you did not use them any further but you could have said you were cancelling the contract and that is the argument they can use. You can counter this saying as you had informed them - I am hoping in writing - and did not use the telephone any longer so this is very heavy handed and ask for a breakdown of the bill.