Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Jackie
#4886 Did I read somewhere that after discharge if you have a IPA you do not have to tell the OR of any changes also there was a loophole on IPA 's
Havent got mine yet so don't were I'm going with this :roll:
By JaneClack
#4887 You are supposed to tell him if you have an IPA BUT there is nothing in the legislation saying this can be enforced. That is the loophole... how does he know if you do not tell him? This is basically only if you have had one that has been suspended as if one is ongoing then you are going to tell him if your income goes down and he wants to hear from you if your income goes up but if you are not paying at the time how is he going to know? And as there is no enforcement he can take, what can he do?

Glad to hear no IPA at present.
By Jackie
#4888 I know I will have one I have just appealed againest what they said I had to pay

So forgive if I appear thick but if the OR set the IPA then you are discharged my wages change say drop of cause I'm going to contact the OR to have the IPA lowered but if they increase !!!!! I still contact the or so they may raise it !!
But if I say nothing who enforces payment if I stopped payment

I'm confusing myself maybe I should have left stupid thought in my head
By JaneClack
#4889 It is just that.

If your IPA is in force when you are discharged you are going to want to tell him if your income goes down so that you have to pay less. If it goes up and you are still paying it then you should let him know but if you don't - how can he enforce it - unless he turns it into an IPO which he can enforce through the court? The only thing I would say about this is it is still better than having to repay all that debt. In my opinion if you are actually paying him money at the time of discharge then you should let him know as he could check. If your IPA had been suspended because your circumstances had changed and nothing was being paid at the moment of discharge then this is where I think he would not bother checking.

It is complicated because of the loophole and the fact this is the first year. It will be sorted one way or the other fairly shortly I would have thought.
By Jackie
#4891 Thanks Sarah

I have no problem in paying my IPA for the 3 years I had just read somewhere that once discharged people have stop paying and nothing was done due to this loop hole
I rather be paying my IPA than my debt owed if you know what I mean
By JaneClack
#4892 I haven't seen that post so will look on the other sites as it may be so. I am only going from discussions I have tried to have with a couple of very guarded IPs! :wink: