Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By snoopy
#4524 Hi,

I can't find the posting but recently there was a certain bank that was recommended for opening up accounts for people with problems such as ours - was it Natiowide? I'm going to open one this afternoon but can't remember which one it was!

Thanks.
By JaneClack
#4529 Nationwide Flex Account cashcard!!!

Co-op Cashminder for electron card too! :wink:
By snoopy
#4585 Hi Sarah,

I went along to the Nationwide today and they said they'd have to do a credit check for me to open up a Flex Account - that defeats the object obviously and I'll most likley be refused. Are they misunderstanding the Flex Account with a Current Account I wonder?

I don't have a Co-op nearly to me.

What's the Natwest Solo account like, do you know?

Thanks.
By JaneClack
#4586 It's also a good account.

What you should ask for is a FLexAccount CASHCARD!!
By snoopy
#4587 Ah ha, I omitted to mention the Cashcard part - that may well explain it then!
By JaneClack
#4588 I know - it makes a difference! I have one and was able to open there and then - no credit checks just checking who I was! It's nice to have a failsafe acccount ....
By Jackie
#4665 I'm still trying to open an account I owe Nationwide so I guess they would not let me open a basic account

Co-op have had all the relevent info id etc but I'm still waiting been 2 weeks now is this normal
By JaneClack
#4668 Depends on area - but yes, Co-op can often take longer. But then you do get an electron debit card!
By bob1965
#4700 If its of any interest have been waiting for co-op to open MY account for three weeks... :)
By lizzy1234
#4804 Just thought I would let you know, I went to the Nationwide today (after going bankrupt on Fri) and said I wanted to open an account. Said I was an undischarged bankrupt and the guy could not have been nicer. They DID run a credit check but there was sitll no problem and I will get a cash card, internet banking and direct debit facilities. Easy Peasy! Nothing to worry about and they didn't look down at me at all. One less thing to worry about! :D
ByVanessa
#4838 It makes noi difference if Nationwide were a creditor prior to bankruptcy anyway - this was removed by the bankruptcy itself. YOu should be quite free to open a cash card account - it's easier to refer to it as a BASIC bank account as well, I found.
By JaneClack
#4840 Yes but others have found the people at Nationwide bemused by the word basic - they think it is referring to the normal flex account which is their current account. This is why we recommend using the word cashcard - however, if using the word basic in certain branches works then use it. Some people have been lucky enough for the Nationwide to let them open another account but I do not know if these include people who actually had debts to Nationwide first - certainly another cashcard account has been opened on several occasions after bankrupty. They are not obliged to offer an account if they do not want to so going there if you had debt there before would be pushing it I feel.
By lizzy1234
#4844 Bizarre but true, got a letter from Barclays this morning, which was my bank before I went bankrupt, telling me my account was frozen, but offering me a cash card account with them! How funny. Made me laugh anyway, and laughs are few on the ground at the moment! :?