Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Lann
#3483 Hi guys!
Just wondered what happened to outstanding debts like mobile phone, water rates and Council Tax when you declare yourself Bankrupt? Also, what happens if you inherit a property in another country after you've been discharged (in 6 or 12 months?)
Thanks for your help! L
By JaneClack
#3485 After you have been discharged from bankruptcy anything you inherit or even if you win the lottery is yours!

Utility bills up to the date of the bankruptcy petition can be included but then the creditors are really going to want to see some prepayment in future. Mobile phone contracts will not be allowed but you can use a pay as you go. BT especially will not allow you to have a phone line in your name if you include a bill in bankruptcy.

It pays to get these things sorted although I appreciate that sometimes council tax and water rates arrears are too much to pay off. However, if you are claiming any benefits these kind of things can be clawed back although they shouldn't be.

Unsecured debts - those you can thankfully wave goodbye to.
By Lann
#3486 Thanks Sarah! What sort of prepayment are we talking about do you think? Can I not include my mobile bill in the order or do I have no choice?
L
By JaneClack
#3516 No, I am afraid you have no choice as to what you put in your petition. All debts have to go in and if the OR finds out they haven't, this can cause more problems than it is worth.