Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By billykeats
#2340 As many of you know I will we going to the Royal Courts of Justice this time next week.

What I would like to know from people that have gone to either the same court or their own county court, if they took anything else with them other than the forms & the fee?

I have quite a bit with me inpreparation like bank & savings statements and various receipts that I have paid out for the car & my college fees. I know alot of these items will be requestted by the OR whenever the appointment is made but I was wondering if any of them need to be taken when I go next week.

I'm not panicking. I'm just making sure I am fully prepared
By JaneClack
#2341 Glad to hear there is no panic in the tone, Billy....

Forms and money are essential and

take the other stuff if you want to but it is very unlikely you will have your interview that day. It is usually within 2 weeks although I have heard of occasions when it has happened earlier. Just make sure you have all the documents you have when the interview does take place. And don't worry if you cannot find everything - the OR will check anyway.

Other posters - can you let Billy know what you did?
ByDavidc
Sarah wrote:Glad to hear there is no panic in the tone, Billy....

Forms and money are essential and

take the other stuff if you want to but it is very unlikely you will have your interview that day. It is usually within 2 weeks although I have heard of occasions when it has happened earlier. Just make sure you have all the documents you have when the interview does take place. And don't worry if you cannot find everything - the OR will check anyway.

Other posters - can you let Billy know what you did?

On the day I arrived with my completed forms, the fee in cash and nothing else. I did not have to see the judge and as the petition was made I waited in a side room. After the clerk returned with the petition he phoned the OR's office and I was asked for a list of names of creditors and the approximate balances. Also any bank accounts I had. I assume this was in order for them to be contacted and frozen. An appointment was made for me to go to his offices 2 weeks later. I had no documents of any kind as I explained it was my practice to shred all documents after checking...........He simply said he would be asking for what he required from the creditors. that was it basically.
David
By JaneClack
#2364 Billy - keep on trucking....

I shall be looking in to see what has happened.... :roll: :lol:
By JaneClack
#2426 Billy - I am typing this from hospital - where are you?
By billykeats
#2431 Sorry I have been kind of celebrating over the last couple of days and suffering for it today.

I hope you are ok and best wishes

Thank you very much for your help. I can't believe it was so simple. It is a weight off my shoulders. Still a little shocked about it all and still don't know why I didn't have to pay the full £457. Got £147 to spend on xmas presents now. Have meeting with the Official Receiver a week tomorrow

When I'm feeling a bit more with it I will write a big thing on my experience of the day
ByDavidc
billykeats wrote:Sorry I have been kind of celebrating over the last couple of days and suffering for it today.

I hope you are ok and best wishes

Thank you very much for your help. I can't believe it was so simple. It is a weight off my shoulders. Still a little shocked about it all and still don't know why I didn't have to pay the full £457. Got £147 to spend on xmas presents now. Have meeting with the Official Receiver a week tomorrow

When I'm feeling a bit more with it I will write a big thing on my experience of the day

You are exempt from the court fee if you are in reciept of means tested benefits. I take it your job finished and you are now signing on.
David
By JaneClack
#2433 and also if you are in low paid employment. This is at the discretion of the court .. he will have had to fill in a form.
Look forward to hearing from you soon Billy