Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByTracy
#739 :( could anyone please help as i cannot find an answer anywhere. I have recently declared myself bankrupt and have been told that BT will have to be informed. The OR said that BT will not let me have a telephone line and i dont know what to do. I cannot do without my internet but especially the phone as i have uncontrolled epilepsy. Has anyone managed to sort anything regards keeping the phone. Can i put it in someone elses name, will i have to pay a security deposit ? Please help? Thanks, Tracy :cry:
ByNicky
#744 Thats an odd thing to tell you. :? I suppose if you were bankrupt and you wanted to install a phone line with BT that might apply, but if you already have a BT line, they are not going to cut you off because you have been made bankrupt. The only reason you would get cut off would be because you have not paid your bill.
ByTracy
#745 We have a £40 bill outstanding, we are not aloud to pay this under the bankruptcy rules as the bill was sent before we were made bankrupt.

Has anyone declared themselves personally bankrupt and kept their phone line. You are not alowed a phone line in your bankruptcy name. How do i go about getting another phone line.

Has anyone been in this position, someone MUST have , pease help.
ByMAT_FINK
#746 Gas, electricity and telephone companies usually want you to pay in such a way that involves you not having credit. If you live with a partner you could transfer the account into their name. Sometimes a deposit is also asked for as security.

from the nationaldebtline site
ByPat31
#750 Hi Tracy.

I'm not sure this would help,but when i was going bankrupt i was told to make sure that i did'n owe any money to BT at the time that i went bankrupt.
So i made sure that i was abit in front all the time with BT,especially the day you actually go bankrupt,it does'nt matter after that.
So you should have been in credit at the time you went bankrupt.
You may be able to sort something out re medical needs if they are or do decide to cut you off,perhaps a word with BT at the time and possibly a doctors note to cover you that you can not be without a phone as your health problem is life threatening.
I hope this helps :)
ByDavidc
Tracy wrote:We have a £40 bill outstanding, we are not aloud to pay this under the bankruptcy rules as the bill was sent before we were made bankrupt.

Has anyone declared themselves personally bankrupt and kept their phone line. You are not alowed a phone line in your bankruptcy name. How do i go about getting another phone line.

Has anyone been in this position, someone MUST have , pease help.

It is a shame you did not find us first and ask about this. It is essential to make sure that if you can your utilities are paid up to date and a little in advance before you petition to prevent the situation that you are in occuring. I know what you were thinking that in paying BT you would be prioritising them as a creditor. That would never have been an issue and if you were advised this ,it was bad advise. Unless you have a cable operator in your area you could change to you are stuck with BT who will demand a substantial deposit to reconnect you. The other option is to have another BT account opened in someone elses name, friend or relative it does not matter.
David
ByTracy
#1179 Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My brother has volunteered to open a telephone account at our address for us but he doesnt live here so is this possible for him to do this? Wont they expect him to live here and have proof that he does? I am so frightened of losing the phone, i have uncontrolled epilepsy so i just cannot do without the it. I obviously was given bad advice but it doesnt help me now, i really dont know what to do. I pick the phone up every day to see if they have cut me off yet.

Thankyou,

Tracy.
ByDavidc
Tracy wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My brother has volunteered to open a telephone account at our address for us but he doesnt live here so is this possible for him to do this? Wont they expect him to live here and have proof that he does? I am so frightened of losing the phone, i have uncontrolled epilepsy so i just cannot do without the it. I obviously was given bad advice but it doesnt help me now, i really dont know what to do. I pick the phone up every day to see if they have cut me off yet.

Thankyou,

Tracy.

It is done all the time so won't be a problem. Although I have never done it, so I would phone BT up today and say that your brother wishes to take on the line and ask them what you/he needs to do.
David
Bysammie
#1181 HI Tracy
we have just gone bankrupt and had the phone put in my mother in laws name with no problems at all , so dont worry thats what most people do.

best wishes Sammie
ByTracy
#1183 Thankyou David, will do that.

Sammie, hope you dont mind, but i am really nervous about phoning BT up, what shall i say? They dont know we are bankrupt as yet, but wont be long until official receiver tells them. I will ask my brother today if he will come up so we can sort it out.

Thankyou everyone for being their and giving advice. :)

Tracy.
Bysammie
#1184 hi tracey,
i didnt actually speak to them initially. i got my mother in law to take the line over. ( as if she was moving into the property to take it over from us) seemed the easiest way, didnt want everyone to know that i had gone bankrupt,
let me know how you get on!
sammie :)
ByPete
#1331 Hi

I went bankrupt over a month ago

I never got any of my utilities into credit, money was owed to all of them, council tax, BT, mobile phone, water, electric

However, I've just transferred the direct debits to the account I opened after being made bankrupt, and continued to pay as normal

Will my OR be contacting these companies? they didnt say they would, I just assumed I'd carry on as I had been in the past

I certainly havent heard anything from the utlities about getting into credit with them or cutting me off? :?:

-edit-

When I say money was owed, I'm talking about typical phone bills that build up over the month and are settled at the end of the month, and then electric and water and council tax have a balace outstanding which is settled monthly over the year (water and electric being estimated balances depending on future meter readings)

Thanks

Pete
ByDavidc
Pete wrote:Hi

I went bankrupt over a month ago

I never got any of my utilities into credit, money was owed to all of them, council tax, BT, mobile phone, water, electric

However, I've just transferred the direct debits to the account I opened after being made bankrupt, and continued to pay as normal

Will my OR be contacting these companies? they didnt say they would, I just assumed I'd carry on as I had been in the past

I certainly havent heard anything from the utlities about getting into credit with them or cutting me off? :?:

-edit-

When I say money was owed, I'm talking about typical phone bills that build up over the month and are settled at the end of the month, and then electric and water and council tax have a balace outstanding which is settled monthly over the year (water and electric being estimated balances depending on future meter readings)

Thanks

Pete

The thing is Pete that legally you should have declared any debts you had on the date you petitioned and not choose the ones to declare as you have done, so all the ones you mentioned would have gone in the pot and would have been contacted...It is for that reason that we all generally, if we can, make sure they are up to date on the day. But too late now, done jobbie......The chances of your ommision being discovered are to be honest remote, unless you default on a payment and they take action against you and owning up now would cause you so many problems I would just pretend it never happened and hope for the best.
David
ByPete
#1333 Hi David

Thanks for that information

An oversight on my part then, I guess I was just totally focused on what I considered debts (loans, credit cards etc) and didnt consider my water/elec bills as debts really, as they would continue to be paid after

Just one more question, what do you mean by;

would cause you so many problems

Thanks

Pete
ByDavidc
Pete wrote:Hi David

Thanks for that information

An oversight on my part then, I guess I was just totally focused on what I considered debts (loans, credit cards etc) and didnt consider my water/elec bills as debts really, as they would continue to be paid after

Just one more question, what do you mean by;

would cause you so many problems

Thanks

Pete

Well, if the utilities find out they will want, as is their policy with undischarged bankrupts to cancel any monthly paymet arrangements and install pre-paymeters. BT will generally not allow an UB to have an account and you would have to either find a new supplier . Cable if available in your area, or if not someone prepared to have the phone account in their name. ect, ect but as I said chances of them discovering are remote.
David