Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By mt
#8156 Would just like to confirm that all I need to take with me tomorrow are the Debtor's Petition and the Statement of Affairs. And the petition fee and court fee of course. I don't need to take bank statements and things like that with me, right? That's all for later with the OR. Thanks.
By Mel_Odious
mt wrote:Would just like to confirm that all I need to take with me tomorrow are the Debtor's Petition and the Statement of Affairs. And the petition fee and court fee of course. I don't need to take bank statements and things like that with me, right? That's all for later with the OR. Thanks.

That's about it. Don't forget it must be £460 in cash. Some Courts charge £7 I think it is for witnessing the affirdavit but I'm not 100% on that. Don't sign and date the bottom of the Forms (as I did and had to alter every page) the clerk has to witness your signature and tomorrow's date. Take your knitting lol or a book to read as you may be hanging around a lot. I wish you luck but know you will be fine.

Mel
By sunshine
#8162 hiya....

what is the £7 for....is this on top of the 460...?
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya....

what is the £7 for....is this on top of the 460...?

Pay attention now Sunshine!
I said it was for having the affirdavit witnessed.
The High Court in London, where I petitioned had this charge.
You can ask of yor own local Court whether this is charged or not.
As you are on benefits you can have the Court fee of £150 waived so therefore it will cost you £310.

Mel
By sunshine
#8165 hiya Mel_Odious

I will phone the court to see if they charge this fee for the witnessing ....I take it it is not included within the total fee....

Yes I should get the £150 waived....
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya Mel_Odious

I will phone the court to see if they charge this fee for the witnessing ....I take it it is not included within the total fee....

Yes I should get the £150 waived....

Don't worry Sunshine. I've just found it. It only applies to the High Court in London.

4. How much will it cost to make myself bankrupt?
You may have to pay 3 fees when you take your petition and statement of affairs to court:
Σ The court fee of £140 (now £150). In some circumstances the court may waive this fee; for
example, if you are on Income Support. If you are not sure whether you qualify for a
reduction in the fee or whether you are exempt from paying the fee, court staff will
be able to advise you.
Σ The deposit of £310 towards the costs of administering your bankruptcy. This
deposit is payable in all cases.
Σ The fee to swear the statement of affairs. In a county court, no charge is made to
swear this affidavit, which is part of the statement of affairs. But in the High Court or
before a solicitor there is a £7 charge.
By sunshine
#8167 hiya...

thank you....I knew there was something else I should take my letter proving and saying what state benefits I am on....

Sunshine

Mel_Odious....can you tell me about this...one of the questions says am I involved in any legal case...well would the county court claim form be seen as a legal case...it is the form that I would have got an admin order for if my debts were below £5,000...it came from Kays solicitors...
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya...

thank you....I knew there was something else I should take my letter proving and saying what state benefits I am on....

Sunshine

Mel_Odious....can you tell me about this...one of the questions says am I involved in any legal case...well would the county court claim form be seen as a legal case...it is the form that I would have got an admin order for if my debts were below £5,000...it came from Kays solicitors...

Hiya Sunshine,
yes, I think I would give particulars of that. At least that way you are sure for certain that it will be included in your petition. If it's wrong the OR will tell you. That is all in a couple of weeks time though. Lets get past Monday first and then we can tackle the other things. The Court and the OR really do know how stressful this all is for people and they go out of their way to help. In fact they have quite strict guidelines on the service they should give the public and must adhere to it. Just bear in mind, it is not a criminal Court you are attending it is a civil procedure with everyone sure to give you every assistance.

Mel