Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By sunshine
#8113 hiya...

I am having to repost this because it got missed out in another post...it got to the bottom then went straight to 2nd page...so here it is along with some last minute questions..

I am having to rearrange my form outgoings because someone is giving me a washing machine so I will not be paying 22.00 pound a month direct debit....

I left out clothes and travel money so if I divide this between them both it will be okay....by the way how much is allowed a month for clothes...?

Another thing do I have to list everything in my home...bar stools...coffee table...printers computer...though both second hand....microwave...etc....

Also would the OR decide that I should not have the internet and say I can pay my debts out of that bill....

Can you tell me what I need to take with me...do I take my tenancy council agreement for my home; I will get given this back won't I..? What else should I take with me...I am on Incapacity Benefit...and live in a rented council home on my own...so there is no business papers or anything like that...but I need to be sure I am all set for monday 20th June....

The phone interview is worrying me....is the OR asking the questions that I already have on the form in front of me...or will he she be asking some questions that are not on the form...that beforehand I need to find out...?

Thank You

Sunshine
By TalbotWoods
#8119 OK One point at time:

• Clothing they normaly allow about £10 a month per dependant family member (You and Kids!) SO if there is two children plus you then they will allow £30, if just you and no kids £10.
  • Travel they will allow upto £171 a month!

You do not have to list evey household item, I was advised to to put by a retired OR who now works at our local CAB:
  • Household FUrniture and Effects about £200
  • Clothing and Personal Effects about £100

You have to remember the value is what they can get at open aution after the cost of removal, storage, etc. In otherwords sod all!

However if you own something of HIGH value (say worth about £350 and above) then you should list it Remember it si not what you think is the value it is what other would pay for it, so your computer tht you think is worth £500 becasue you paid that for it last year,. is ow worth about £50 second hand to someone else - so it is not high value

If you are in NY doubt list things down, that you think may be valuable, but the OR will almost definatley tell you he is not interested

The OR will not allow you to make an entry on the Income nd Expenses for the Internet, if you wish to keep it you wil hve to jusggle figures round after the Bankruptcy (I included mine in Phone and Travel!)

You will not need to take anything with you, but I would take your credit, debit and cheques cards nd your cheque books. They may ask for them.

After the Bankruptcy hearing (depending on what part of the country you are in) either the court will call the OR for you, or the OR will call you over the next couple of days. He will write to you telling you waht docuements he would like you to send to him BEFORE your interview.

The interview is not as friehtening as you think, yes he is out to find out why things went wrong, but he is NOT out to blame you, nor is he going to tear into you, he needs to find the facts and that is all.

In a few days it will be all over and you will be thinking was that it!, You Will be very plesantlty suprised .

I Hope that this is of some help, and when you have done the deed we will tell you how to make sure all your creditors quickly so as to stop the calls to you.

TW
By sunshine
#8121 hiya...

Won't the OR need to see a phone bill with internet upon it....

Oh right because the internet is 17.99 a month (£18) I would need to add this onto clothing and travel....

How much will the OR allow me for monthly food and household expenses....?

Thanks

Sunshine
By sunshine
#8122 I meant to say £18 a month
By sunshine
#8123 hiya...

I actually only have my switch and solo cards as I shredded the cheque books and paying in books...

will this go against me
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya...

Won't the OR need to see a phone bill with internet upon it....

Oh right because the internet is 17.99 a month (£18) I would need to add this onto clothing and travel....

How much will the OR allow me for monthly food and household expenses....?

Thanks

Sunshine

Hello Sunshine,
you've been up all night worrying and you needn't.
You have to get your petition dealt with first, then your OR interview.
Take it one step at a time.
You shouldn't be looking at how much you are allowed but put the actual amount you spend. If the OR thinks it is OTT s/he will tell you and alter the figures.
You don't have to worry about the actual figures, people that want to massage these figures are worried about an IPA, you will not be given an IPA because you are not earning a wage.
You can't take stuff you have shredded so don't worry about that.
The imporant thing to provide is a list of creditors, addresses and account numbers.
You will only be asked about information you have already supplied.

Mel
By sunshine
#8126 hiya Mel_Odious

I have put down a list of the creditors....but in most cases I just have the debt collection company as it has been passed on that much that they left the original creditor off....but as long as the debt collection company and account numbers are listed with addresses this is okay....

I read somewhere that the OR faxes the bank....I take it that the OR already has a list of fax numbers for these companies...as I only have addresses....should I put the phone numbers as well...
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya Mel_Odious

I have put down a list of the creditors....but in most cases I just have the debt collection company as it has been passed on that much that they left the original creditor off....but as long as the debt collection company and account numbers are listed with addresses this is okay....

I read somewhere that the OR faxes the bank....I take it that the OR already has a list of fax numbers for these companies...as I only have addresses....should I put the phone numbers as well...

I only put on my list: The name of the creditor, the address and the account number.
The OR told me that it was a great help and thanked me.
I wouldn't worry about telephone or fax numbers. The OR has assistants, so if additional info was needed, I guess they'd just ask them to find it.
I mean there are only so many Banks and I'm sure they have all the details of all the banks concerned.

Mel
By sunshine
#8128 hiya....

So the OR will not see internet as a thing I do not need...and decide to give the £17.99 a month to creditors...

I mean on 92.50 a week it is the only thing I have as I do not smoke....

I get Talbotwoods telling me the OR will not allow internet...so what is the score...shall I put it or not...
By JaneClack
#8129 If your telephone bill is up to date and it is included in that you will have no problem, Sunshine. No problem. Don't make it a problem by putting it in if it worries you. If you can pay for it out of your benefit by goign without something else you are NOT going to be hounded. You need £190 odd as housekeeping; £20 for clothing, what about the money to get into town to go shopping, water rates, electricity, gas, TV licence etc. They never ask someone on benefits to pay an income payments arrangement as they KNOW there isn't enough money left over to do this.

Stop worrying the court will help you if you have any problems with the form and GO WITH THE FLOW. You have made the decision, it is going to happen and it will be OK!

Sorry wasn't on yesterday so have missed lots of posts but Mel has been through it and out the other end so listen to him. TW is going through it as we speak. It is the perceptions that are different not the content. Stop worrying NOW :wink:
By sunshine
#8130 hiya

As for household items....so I shall put basics....2nd hand washer....cooker....fridge....microwave...tv...video...dvd....bed (bought on credit) canvas wardrobe...

what about coffee table....and egyptian 5ft sarcophygus cd holders....£100 each should I move these out or not list them...the same as the coffee table with egyptian figures at each quarter....?

Just that if I do not list them and say I then get a visit from a bailliff....or will being long term Incapacity Benefits will they not bother as I do not have property or gold in the bank....

my brother has the reciept in his name for the computer so he can say he is lending it me....
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya....

So the OR will not see internet as a thing I do not need...and decide to give the £17.99 a month to creditors...

I mean on 92.50 a week it is the only thing I have as I do not smoke....

I get Talbotwoods telling me the OR will not allow internet...so what is the score...shall I put it or not...

Hi Sunshine,
The OR will not touch benefits.
The OR does not take money from you unless you are a wage earner.
I don't think the OR will make you give up the internet; most people put Broadband at £25 pw or so. Some put Satellite TV.
You haven't mentioned mobile phone so I guess you don't have one where many people do and put that on the list.

You really are worrying unnecessarily. Nobody can tell you for sure what the OR will or not allow you. Each case is different and even ORs round the Country vary a great deal.
My advice is put everything down and if the OR queries any item s/he will tell you.

Mel
By sunshine
#8134 hiya...

thanks to you all for being there...or here...lol...I will go with the flow...

I put housekeeping at £152....maybe I should up this....but I think either way there is not a lot left...as it just totals the £370 a month that I am on...

thanks
By TalbotWoods
#8135 Hi SUnshine

As you are on long term incapacity, as far as the OR will be concerned you will not have any excess income.

So all you have to do is put in figures in the various sections that add up to what you income per month is.

Be realisitic, and be honest, if it costs you £152 a month on food put that.

You do not have to worry, the OR is not out to take money from you if you are on benefits, nor is he going to say you have to pay any money to the copanies you have borrowed off of. His job is to work out what went wrong and let all the creditors know what went wrong.

The OR will not leave you short of money, in fact in many cases we are better off after going bankrupt.

If you were forced to find £100 a month out of your benefits to pay debts off, after your bankruptcy that £100 is yours again, you keep it to live on.

The OR is not out to take money off of people who cant afford it, nor is he going to take property off of people (unless it is of high value such as very very expensive paintings) so dont worry.

As everyone is sying - Just go with the flow -

TW
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya...

thanks to you all for being there...or here...lol...I will go with the flow...

I put housekeeping at £152....maybe I should up this....but I think either way there is not a lot left...as it just totals the £370 a month that I am on...

thanks

That's just fine Sunshine.
The ORs do not touch your benefits.
They are for you and the OR knows they are difficult to manage on.
Besides, you petition at Court comes first, then we have 2-3 weeks to talk about the OR.
It is obvious you are a big worrier and were up all night last night worrying.
This is a very stressful time for you and I do understand. Do you think a chat with your GP would be helpful in getting you through the next month or so? I know many people that are having debt problems are on anti-depressants. I certainly am and just taking tablets at night helps me to sleep and stops me worrying about the silly little things that used to worry me.
You could tell me to mind my own business about medication and I would understand. I just think a chat with your GP might help you cope with the stress that debt and it's consequences cause. I'v been there sunshine and know how stressful debt can be but in the end it is only money and money is only bits of papers with numbers on. It really is not worth worrying too much about. Your own health and welfare are far more important. In a couple of months it will all be over and I can visualise you coming back and helping others in a similar situation that you are now. That is what I am doing, just putting a bit back for all the help I received when considering bankruptcy three years ago. You will be fine, I can promise you.

Mel