Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By madalynblue
#7640 Hello

Went bankrupt on the 07/06 and had interview with the OR today. All went well and the OR was very understanding and pleasant - Have been a nervous wreck for the past week or so, so am going to let out a sigh of relief over a bottle of wine tonight!!

Having a few problems opening a bank account - have only managed to open a savings account with the Nationwide -(they don't do a basic account anymore) which means i cannot set up any outgoing DD's although money dan be paid in - Any suggestions for bank accounts? I live in Cornwall so the Co-op bank is out of the question as is a long way a way.

Would just like to close by saying thankyou for all the help & advice -

Jayne
ByDavidc
madalynblue wrote:Hello

Went bankrupt on the 07/06 and had interview with the OR today. All went well and the OR was very understanding and pleasant - Have been a nervous wreck for the past week or so, so am going to let out a sigh of relief over a bottle of wine tonight!!

Having a few problems opening a bank account - have only managed to open a savings account with the Nationwide -(they don't do a basic account anymore) which means i cannot set up any outgoing DD's although money dan be paid in - Any suggestions for bank accounts? I live in Cornwall so the Co-op bank is out of the question as is a long way a way.

Jayne

I have just phoned up my local branch of the Nationwide as one of my neighbours works there......She knows nothing about any changes in policy regarding basic accounts so do not understand where you got your information from.
David
By Mel_Odious
madalynblue wrote:Hello

Jayne

Hi Jayne,
glad to hear the OR interview went OK and now your main concerns are all done with-I do know the relief. I was a nervous wreck at my interview.
Just a little warning about mentioning geography and stuff as now that your details are available for viewing it is not difficult to establish your full address with the little hints that you give out. I hope I am not scaring you but we can never be sure who is lurking on public Forums such as this and it's best to be aware.

Back to your main question; you could try for the NatWest Step account and although they say they do not accept bankrupts, I and a few others have managed to get the account. The Co-op cashminder may not be as difficult as you imagine. I am in London (there I go breaking my own rule on geography lol) and the Co-op branches are too far away and I have never been to one. I bank online and I can pay in at any Post Office. I can organise DDs and SOs and transfer of funds all on the internet; so don't rule it out.

Mel
By madalynblue
#7646 Hello David

Got my info from the branch when i went in to open an account - said they could only offer me a savers account -
By homely
#7649 we were told that we wouldn't be able to open an account with dd with nationwide by a woman at the desk.we had to go back an hour later and we met this lovely lady and we told her that weneededa dd account and she said thats fine,when we explained what happened when we were there earlier she said that the information we were given was incorrect and we could open the basic flex account which also has a savings account attached to it.what might be an idea is to go in and try and open the account and see what they give you as there has been no notification on them changing their rules on bankrupts good luck
By bob1965
#7652 Go with opening a Coop Cashminder account... heres why...

Without giving to much away, my wife and I live as far north in the UK as you can pretty much get. Moved here after going BR down south...

My nearest Coop Branch is in Glasgow (I think) which is several hundred miles away... I opened the account by phoning their customer services department, getting the forms sent through and then completing and sending back with the required information...

All my 'Banking' is done either on the Internet or via the Post Office. You can pay cheques into any Post Office (takes 7-10 days to clear) or pay in cash which is credited to your account immediately.

Payments/Transfers can be made from your account via Internet Banking and DDs are easy enough to set up, so there is really no need to go anywhere near a branch :)

Hope this helps... Having a Coop account certainly has helped us...

Try http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/ for more info or call them on 08457 212 212
By clarkeee5
#7692 Am I the only person to be turned down for a Co-op account.
I went in and declared I was B. That I wanted to open an appropriate account etc.
This was about 5 weeks after B.
No explaination was given just that I'd been turned down for the account.
Fortunately I still have my nationwide account which hasn't been cloed down, but would have loved the debit card facility, rather than having to get £10 out just for a pint of milk!
Has any one had the same thing with Co-op?
By Mel_Odious
#7694 I have heard of cases where the bank clerk had applied for the wrong account.
I would try again making sure it is the Cashminder account that is applied for.
Mel
By JaneClack
#7707 Very good advice. Look what happened to Homely!
By madalynblue
#7722 Thanks Bob1965
Will try the co-op