Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By liverpoolcherries
#7444 Hello
This is my first posting, so please excuse me if this has been answered before.

My husband is going to petition as soon as we can get the money together, and although his bank account is only the basic one with Abbey, and he doesn't owe them anything, he will have to open another one for his wages to go into. The issue is the documents needed for identification purposes. I have looked at the Nationwide website and you need a utility bill but they are all in my name, he has nothing in his own name except a mobile contract (which is excluded).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get around this?

thanks
liverpoolcherries
By JaneClack
#7446 Electoral roll entry which is on credit files, driving licence, marriage certificate to prove he is married to the bill payer, passport. Council tax bill?
By liverpoolcherries
#7450 Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. He doesn't drive so doesn't have a licence. and we only moved to our current address in March so haven't yet had a council tax bill though we are registered for it. We didn't get a voting card in May so assume we are not on the electoral register.

Thanks again
liverpoolcherries
By JaneClack
#7452 Well if he cannot prove his existence he will need to pay his money into your account or you could open one after bankruptcy and put his name on it. Thousands of people do manage by doing this.
By liverpoolcherries
#7454 Hello
That is an option, though would anyone know if there is a chance that he could keep his Abbey account, it is only a basic one and I did read somewhere that another person took their cards to the court and was given their basic account card back to save them having to open another one. I don't know if our OR would be as helpful, but is it worth ringing the Abbey to find out if they will let him keep his account?

Thanks
liverpoolcherries
ByDavidc
liverpoolcherries wrote:Hello
That is an option, though would anyone know if there is a chance that he could keep his Abbey account, it is only a basic one and I did read somewhere that another person took their cards to the court and was given their basic account card back to save them having to open another one. I don't know if our OR would be as helpful, but is it worth ringing the Abbey to find out if they will let him keep his account?

Thanks
liverpoolcherries

The decision is not the Official recievers to make. He will freeze all accounts untill he is satisfied he has no interest in them. It is the supplier ie The Bank that in 99 out of 100 times closes the account. It is simply Bank policy. Nothing to do with the court or the Official Reciever.
David
By billykeats
#7457 This is just a thought. He still has the current account with Abbey so why can't he use a recent statement from them to open the account at Nationwide? They only need it to prove the address
By liverpoolcherries
#7458 He hasn't had a statement in the new address yet as he only gets them quarterly, as he doesn't pay bills or anything from his account. If the marriage certificate idea is legal we could try that.

Thanks
liverpoolcherries
By Mel_Odious
liverpoolcherries wrote:He hasn't had a statement in the new address yet as he only gets them quarterly, as he doesn't pay bills or anything from his account. If the marriage certificate idea is legal we could try that.

Thanks
liverpoolcherries

The Bank should supply a statement on demand although they may make a small charge for the service.

Mel