Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By twilight
#7389 Hi,

I went bankrupt last tuesday and have now received another form to fill out from my OR and have a couple of questions I need help on.

first....."is there anything you own or hold that is insured?" do I included my contents insurance on this?

second...."have you been making regular payments each month to your creditors on account of their debts/claims?" I had a catalogue bill which I paid various amounts to each month, is that the answer this question is looking for?

also they request I send all cards, cheque books etc to them, I handed over both my cards on the day but was given my nationwide card back as i was told i could probably keep this account to save me trying to open a new one, should I keep it still?

there is a check list at the back of the form that asks for lastest bills you have been asked to pay, is this household bills? i have just received a bill for gas/electric for £109, have since changed suppliers, do i still need to pay this bill?

lastly....I have my telephone interview on the 17th, however I have been for a job interview today and should I get the vacancy they want me to start asap, this means i wont be available, can the OR do these interviews in the evening?

thanks in advance

Sharon
By Mel_Odious
twilight wrote:Hi,

I went bankrupt last tuesday and have now received another form to fill out from my OR and have a couple of questions I need help on.

first....."is there anything you own or hold that is insured?" do I included my contents insurance on this?

Hi Sharon,
let's see how much I know and how much I can help.
Yes, I would just state all general household goods on contents insurance and no individual article (unless you had your diamond tiara covered separately) :)
second...."have you been making regular payments each month to your creditors on account of their debts/claims?" I had a catalogue bill which I paid various amounts to each month, is that the answer this question is looking for?

Yes, plus all the others like credit cards, loans, overdraft etc., that you were paying monthly sums to.

also they request I send all cards, cheque books etc to them, I handed over both my cards on the day but was given my nationwide card back as i was told i could probably keep this account to save me trying to open a new one, should I keep it still?

Hang on to it then, if it was handed back. However you should be aware that it would be up to the Nationwide as to whether they kept your account open and not froze it-I would check with them.

there is a check list at the back of the form that asks for lastest bills you have been asked to pay, is this household bills? i have just received a bill for gas/electric for £109, have since changed suppliers, do i still need to pay this bill?

If this bill was included in your Statement of Affairs, you do not have to pay it but certainly inform the OR about it.

lastly....I have my telephone interview on the 17th, however I have been for a job interview today and should I get the vacancy they want me to start asap, this means i wont be available, can the OR do these interviews in the evening?

In my case I asked for a different date which was fine but as to asking the OR to work outside his/her usual office working hours, I would think not. I would say if you get the job then explain to the OR, s/he would possibly arrange it for a lunch hour or something.
thanks in advance
Sharon

No problem and good luck,

Mel
By twilight
#7397 thanks for your reply Mel,

(unless you had your diamond tiara covered separately) :)

i wished..lol :D

Yes, plus all the others like credit cards, loans, overdraft etc., that you were paying monthly sums to.

my overdraft hasnt been paid off in ages, my benefits went in the bank and just lowered it each month only for it to rise again

Hang on to it then, if it was handed back. However you should be aware that it would be up to the Nationwide as to whether they kept your account open and not froze it-I would check with them.

I phoned the Nationwide the day after and they said as long as the OR writes and tells them he has no interest in the account, I can keep it (god, I hope so, just transferred all my dd's and benefits to it :?

If this bill was included in your Statement of Affairs, you do not have to pay it but certainly inform the OR about it.

the bill only arrived through the post the other day...guess I have to try and pay that one :(

In my case I asked for a different date which was fine but as to asking the OR to work outside his/her usual office working hours, I would think not. I would say if you get the job then explain to the OR, s/he would possibly arrange it for a lunch hour or something.

I didnt think they would call out of hours, cant say I blame them, I know the call has to be to a fixed line (not a mobile), if I get this job I wont be able to get home at lunchtimes and feel like I'd be taking the mick asking the employer if i can use there phone for half an hour (and its probably an open plan office, most are these days) in my first week
By Mel_Odious

the bill only arrived through the post the other day...guess I have to try and pay that one :(

No, inform the OR about it and let it be included in your bankruptcy, especially as you have a new supplier.

Mel
By twilight
Mel_Odious wrote:

No, inform the OR about it and let it be included in your bankruptcy, especially as you have a new supplier.

Mel

i didnt know i could do that....thanks, you made me day :D :D :D
By steveo
#7408 bit late now i know, but what you should of done is made sure that you where in credit with your utiliy suppliers. that way they are not included and are none the wiser to you bankruptcy. once you include one in your BO it can make it difficult to get a new credit account with anyone else.
By twilight
steveo wrote:bit late now i know, but what you should of done is made sure that you where in credit with your utiliy suppliers. that way they are not included and are none the wiser to you bankruptcy. once you include one in your BO it can make it difficult to get a new credit account with anyone else.

thanks for your advice, I had a credit of £102 on the bill, the £109 is whats left over (this is gas and electric, total bill £211....wish our winters weren't so cold!)