Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byalasdair
#267443 Hi all
First time on here. Can anyone shed some light. I recently got a solicitors letter for an alleged debt for a credit card back in 2005. Enclosed was a decree from august 2006 (copy). I checked with the registry trust and no decree has been registered. Where do I stand?
ByGazza1912
alasdair wrote:Hi all
First time on here. Can anyone shed some light. I recently got a solicitors letter for an alleged debt for a credit card back in 2005. Enclosed was a decree from august 2006 (copy). I checked with the registry trust and no decree has been registered. Where do I stand?
Hi, and welcome. First of all, can I ask if you are certain the letter came from a Solicitor? I ask this because it may have originated from a bog standard DCA. DCAs often send out letters that are so carefully designed, and very carefully worded into fooling you that they are from a Solicitor when they are not. Moorcroft/MoorDebt are well known for this with their 'Pre-Court Division' letters which have nothing to do with courts whatsoever.

So lets start with the actual name of the 'solicitor' ( the Company name) written on the letter and we can take it from there.
Byalasdair
#267473 hi and thanks for the reply. solicitor is morton fraser from edinburgh. googled the name and it seems legit. also with offices in glasgow and london.
ByGazza1912
alasdair wrote:hi and thanks for the reply. solicitor is morton fraser from edinburgh. googled the name and it seems legit. also with offices in glasgow and london.
Further investigation of their website reveals they also deal in 'corporate debt collection'.

I've not heard of this company before now, so I am afraid I cannot offer anymore advice. Bare with us as weekends are extremely quiet on here, but I am sure someone will be along during the week who may be able to offfer further assistance.
Byalasdair
#267563 I believe the registry trust is one and the same for north or south of the border. When you go there to check, you have to select the area you live in.... A check on a known ccj for my wife showed up so they must get the details from the Scottish courts
ByJaneClack
#267583 Ah I did not know that - just know that you cannot get CCJs in Scotland just that there are decrees and long prescription applies (different from England and Wales) when decrees are "prescribed" after 20 years. A Scots adviser will be able to give you more advice so suggest you post in Scottish section too in case they do not read because of the initials CCJ