Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By seejai
#243123 Hi

My notice of correction has been ok'd by the company that put the original default notice on my credit file, yet my notice states that they are in the wrong.

Why have the agreed to it?? Surely this gives me grounds to get the default removed.

Thanks

Chris
By TalbotWoods
#243133 A NoC is your side of the facts. It is placed on your file by the CRFAs irrespective of if the original company agree with it or not.

What has been agreed is that the CRA will accept the NoC, it is more than likely the originator of the original information has not even seen it, nor are they legally allowed to object to it!

Tim
By seejai
#243135 Really?

Experian told me they had to confirm my NOC with the bank before they could add it to my file, I said this is silly as they could just reject everything said against them.

They said they are some what dictated to by the banks.

But you say thats a load of rubbish. Where can I read more about your theory?

cheers

Chris
By TalbotWoods
#243143 This is from Experian

What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short (up to 200 words) explanatory note you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information. Anyone searching your report in the future will see the Notice of Correction, and they must take account of it when you apply for credit.

If you would like to add a Notice of Correction to your credit report, please let us know the exact wording you would like to use. We cannot add a statement that is longer than 200 words or one we think is defamatory, frivolous or unsuitable for publication for some other reason. We are also unable to add any Notice of Correction which refers to a third party by name.

We'll make the necessary changes to your report. Any note we believe to be defamatory, incorrect, or frivolous may be referred to the Information Commissioner for arbitration. We are unable to add any Notice of Correction which refers to a third party by name.

At no point is it 'OK'd Confirmed, Vetted by , or Approved By' the organisation that put the original information, it is just YOUR side of the case.

The only approvals that are required are to ensure that it is not defamatory or libellous.

Tim
By submariner
#243253 It's perhaps also worth noting that, because a NoC "belongs" to you and is in no way endorsed by anyone else, you are entirely at liberty to remove it e.g. when the creditor corrects their own records.

There are times when a NoC is a double edged sword.

It does allow you to state your own point of view, but at the same time it stops automatic credit scoring, thus slowing down any credit approvals and perhaps highlighting more of a problem than you intended to show! It's certainly worth reviewing them every now and again - and removing ones if the creditor changes their records for the better.
By DARIUS
#251075 Hi there, when I checked my credit files, my bankruptcy was showing as a notice of correction, and was also in the public records section. I hadn't put it there, but still had to write to the CRA to have it removed.
By submariner
DARIUS wrote:Hi there, when I checked my credit files, my bankruptcy was showing as a notice of correction, and was also in the public records section. I hadn't put it there, but still had to write to the CRA to have it removed.

... and sometimes they are put there in error. I've had a couple of rather strange NoCs appear over the years, but they have been removed quickly when requested.