Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By ph3005
#219775 ASDA are doing 10 tins of tuna for £5, very good deal considering some supermarkets charge over £1.30. Good high protein food!
By JaneClack
#219780 Any recipes would be gratefully received as I love the stuff...
Tuna pasta and tuna pasta salad I know and I do some tuna tartlets and they make an amazing sandwich filling with a bit of salad cream and chunky cucumber....
By ph3005
#219783 I usually eat it with salad so that isn't exactly a recipe! I do weight training hence the need for a high protein low(ish) carb diet. You can't beat tuna, 50p for 35grams of protein per can, cheaper than chicken and no cooking required :)
By DuffNCustard
#219785 Mash a tin of tuna (drained) with some mashed potato (easy on the milk/cream) and parsley and make fish cakes. Just 'egg and breadcrumb' them and fry them carefully for 10 minutes - don't wnat them cold in the middle and black on the outside! - we have them with great dollops of tartare sauce - yum!
By DuffNCustard
#219808 and another one

blind bake a shortcrust pastry case, make a small portion of very very thick white sauce that you can stand a spoon up in (about 1/2 pint liquid) season it with salt and pepper (to taste) grated nutmeg and fresh lemon juice (to taste) drain tin of tuna and mix it up with white sauce mixture and bung it in the pastry case - bake for 20 - 25 minutes in a medium oven - luvverly with home made crinkly chips and home made mayo ( I use Delias's recipe) or if it isn't scoffed up hot leave to get cold and top with thinly sliced cucumber for a 'fancy dancy' 'Thon a la England' when it goes down well with a nice white 'vinho collapso'!!
By Iphigenia
#219816 oo, like the sound of the pastry case thing, I've got all the fixins for that. Good job, as it doesn't look like I'll be getting out to a supermarket any time soon...brrrrr