Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bybushpig
#127219 ok my new bank account doesent give me a switch card till about 6months ,,,

and i cant shop online without one ><

i got my weekly shop down to a bare minimum by doing online, and i fear i may overspend if i go into the store with a wad of cash :twisted:

any tips please??

i know i need some will power first and foremost.

thanks
ByKeystorkes
#127233 A number of us on here have a prepaid mastercard. You simply load the card with the cash at any post office and then (within a couple of days) the funds are available to spend just like any other mastercard i.e. online.

http://www.cashplus.co.uk/

There is a £4.95 monthly fee, however this can be changed to a £1 per transaction. I stuck with the £4.95 as I use my card most days for business expenses and it works out much cheaper that way. Yuo decide on the best method and you switch back and forth.
Bybushpig
#127250 ooo nice one thanks

just applied for it and theres a 17 quid fee when i first take it to my post office

oh well i will still do it lol
ByIphigenia
#127260 When I got mine it was 9.95 set-up fee plus 4.95 first month's charges. However, the day I got the card, I rang up and converted it to the pound per transaction (flexiplus) modus operandi, and the 4.95 was refunded to the account.

I don't use mine much - I find that having to pay a pound per transaction acts as a real brake. Of course, it wouldn't if I really needed to use it but it makes me far more aware of it being 'my own' money, than a credit card, where the APR didn't register much with me.
By£76K
#127281 Go to Co-op & get an electron card. Altenavily there is an Xtreme switch card & a talksport switch card, both prepaid & lower fees if I remember.

Not sure if Asda or Sainsburys take Electron on loine, Tesco do not
ByKeystorkes
£76K wrote:Go to Co-op & get an electron card. Altenavily there is an Xtreme switch card & a talksport switch card, both prepaid & lower fees if I remember.

Not sure if Asda or Sainsburys take Electron on loine, Tesco do not

Sainsburys do as I have done online shopping with them with the co-op elelctron, don't know about Asda, didn't know they had home shopping, I might try them, can't comment on Tesco as I have never tried them
Byred24
#131601 On the subject of cards, Ive found no problem with Quidity and its taken everywhere just like a Switch.
Free and very low fees, view it on line, use it on ebay and the internet, better as well cos if you aint got the money to put on it you can't spend
Bychillychicky
#132008 there's loads of them now

http://www.which-prepaid-card.co.uk/fea ... EAod7BsSOw
Bychillychicky
#132034 oh might have to get me one of those then!
BySun
#132046 Dam it Janet!!

I just got the cashplus card but this looks a much better deal for us with just the top up fee.

We only want it for buying once in a blue moon online at the places that won't take our visa electron, such as tesco and bravissimo (dam good bra shop for the more voluptuous lady) sorry too much info I know :lol:

Sod it, I might go crazy and order one!!

S :wink:
ByIphigenia
#132050 oo, that is good. I was just going to reject it because of the loading fees but then saw you can load any amount at the post office for 70p. excellent! going to look further.

(what I Really want is one that'll also pay interest on my money while it's in there.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: )
ByIphigenia
#132074 rats. can't set one up online or by phone as they say my details don't match electoral roll.

I assure you, I'm on it and have set up my banking and cashplus details based on it!

meh
Bysurfbabe
Iphigenia wrote:oo, that is good. I was just going to reject it because of the loading fees but then saw you can load any amount at the post office for 70p. excellent! going to look further.
(what I Really want is one that'll also pay interest on my money while it's in there.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: )

thats what swayed us its brill
ByIphigenia
#132103 Can't get on. they say my address doesn't correspond to electoralroll. it does!