Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By twig
#51206 Well, it's been a roller coaster ride - I was supposed to meet with the IP last Friday - took the day off and everything, but she had to cancel so I was left hanging - however, she finally made it today and was very understanding, really helped me deal with the shame I've beeen feeling, and just like someone here told me, it all seems almost too easy. Well, not really easy, things are going to be quite tight, but then, they have been for years, but at least this wayIcan see an end to it in 3 years, and I will have some kind of contol. I do think the income/expenditure was fair - if I am honest I was living beyond my means for years and in a way I am actually looking forward to not doing that. One thing the IP said to me really struck home - the effort I had put into managing my debt - and I did - could just as easily be used to managing my money - really made me think that, so it's a new start, I am sad that it came to this, but do appreciate the chance. If the Trust Deed becomes protected, it will be five weeks from today - the IP thinks it will, though she can't guarantee that, so it's going to be a bit of a neail biting 5 weeks. but still feel a bit more in control than I did. Hope this helps someone - really I wish I had not left it so long - this is hard, but not as hard as what I have been doing. Twig.
By GR
#51217 Well done twig!

You've taken the first step to getting your life back. It IS a huge step, but as you have mentioned, when the IP explains what's involved it all seems far too straightforward. I kept waiting for something to jump up out of the blue and make a hash of things, but it didn't. It IS that easy.

With regards to it becoming protected - there is a smidgen of a chance that it won't, but I doubt that. The creditors will realise that at least with the TD they are going to get something back. If it fails to go protected they will get nothing.

In five weeks you will be able to let out a sigh of relief, but trust me, you have nothing to fret about.

Once again - well done. In 36 payments time you can start over again and be all the wiser for this hiccup... :D