Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By weegie
#35405 I was declared bankrupt by inland revenue in april last year. they said i owed them £11000 in unpaid income tax but after investigation it turned out they owed me £800! it was served in an address in scotland that i had not been resident at for about 3 years and i now live in england. i was not even aware i had been declared bankrupt. now i owe inland revenue nothing but i had other debts of around £5000 which have now been taken into account. the fees now outweigh the debt i am now being forced to pay £200 per month to pay for fees. i asked inland revenue to recall petition but they refused. is there anything i can do? i shouldn't even be bankrupt!
By Mel_Odious
weegie wrote:I was declared bankrupt by inland revenue in april last year. they said i owed them £11000 in unpaid income tax but after investigation it turned out they owed me £800! it was served in an address in scotland that i had not been resident at for about 3 years and i now live in england. i was not even aware i had been declared bankrupt. now i owe inland revenue nothing but i had other debts of around £5000 which have now been taken into account. the fees now outweigh the debt i am now being forced to pay £200 per month to pay for fees. i asked inland revenue to recall petition but they refused. is there anything i can do? i shouldn't even be bankrupt!

Sorry weegie, but what fees? If your debts were included in your bankruptcy, which they must be then what fees are we talking about?

Mel
By weegie
#35433 the accountants fees for dealing with the bankruptcy
By Mel_Odious
weegie wrote:the accountants fees for dealing with the bankruptcy

I see. The bloody blaggards!
I do not see the point of the IR going for the jugular every time. They get nothing out of it financially so guess they must do it to punish the debtor.
Armholes!
As to whether you have a case that the bankruptcy papers weren't served properly, I don't know and you may need legal advice on that. Maybe Rameses or Janice may know???

Mel
By JLP
#35756 You def need legal advice-there have been test cases in Scottish Courts re tis type of stuff.However its not an easy road to go down.There was some person on radio who had same problem (unless that was you?) and went to their MP. Its outside my field of knowledge but start with a solicitor and go from there.

Not going to advise you on what I dont know Mate, I know my limitations......... :(