Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By jonnie000
#29779 I've had my Callcredit and Equifax credit files sent to me, still waiting on Experian. The two I've had make no mention of my bankruptcy. Is this common? The defaults are on there. And I've every intention of getting those changed to Satisfied/Settled as per Info Commissioners guidelines since I am discharged. I have a feeling Experian will have the Bankruptcy listed, but the other two don't which I find strange.

Anyone else seen this? I went bankrupt in April, so there's been plenty of time for it to be picked up.
By geordie
#29782 ive been on since may sorting my crf equifax is sorted along with experian now its call credit who is been the awkward ones :evil: i have had involvement from the information commissioner and the people he instructed to mark the accounts have done so except my call credit who think they are above the law geordie
BySonic
geordie wrote:ive been on since may sorting my crf equifax is sorted along with experian now its call credit who is been the awkward ones :evil: i have had involvement from the information commissioner and the people he instructed to mark the accounts have done so except my call credit who think they are above the law geordie

Gawd, what is it with these companies? I feel sorry for you, Mel and DavidC who've been battling to get your credit files sorted.

Perhaps it's sour grapes - ie they can't bully you for money any more so are trying to make your life difficult in other ways!
By geordie
#29789 ive just spoken to lloyds and they have informed me they do not use my call credit so where the info comes from i dont know? :?
By Mel_Odious
Sonic wrote:Perhaps it's sour grapes - ie they can't bully you for money any more so are trying to make your life difficult in other ways!

I've practically said that to Morgan Stanley in my last letter. (That's nine I've sent them only two have been answered so far).

Mel
BySonic
Mel_Odious wrote:
I've practically said that to Morgan Stanley in my last letter. (That's nine I've sent them only two have been answered so far).

Mel

Blimey! If they don't sort it out this time I'd be tempted to send them an invoice with the next letter, charging for stamps and paper, not to mention time, and compensation for the ammount of blimmin' stress they're causing lol!

S xxx
By Pineapple
#30238 I've been postponing this horror for over a year now - discharged October 04, so I really need to get onto it. :roll:

Today I went to NatWest to ask about a Step account. Before we started I declared my DB status and was told that they would only consider my application if it was my only bank account.
By Mel_Odious
Pineapple wrote:I've been postponing this horror for over a year now - discharged October 04, so I really need to get onto it. :roll:

Today I went to NatWest to ask about a Step account. Before we started I declared my DB status and was told that they would only consider my application if it was my only bank account.

They really messed me about. Sorry Hi Pineapple. I happened to go into my branch to pay in a check the day after my discharge and the teller asked me if I would like an upgrade from my Step that I was given just after I was made bankrupt. "Oo yes" said I as I was just discharged and an appointment was arranged. At the interview I was told I couldn't have a current account because of adverse info on my CRF. I said "yes, I know, the bankruptcy" The adviser said "no currents adverse info from this year". From then on the nightmare began. I only looked at Equifax online because the adviser had told me that they use Equifax. I saw all my default dates were wrong and some had been updating the info for the whole 3 years that I had been bankrupt. it took about five months to get them reasonably up-to-date. back I trot to NatWest and complete a new application. The same adviser rang me back and told me it was too near my discharge and to apply again in six months. This time I wrote in and had a telephone call from the same adviser telling me I had failed the credit scoring! I told of course I would as the bankruptcy was still on my file. She then told me that I would not get an upgrade as long as the bankruptcy was there. I wrote a stinking letter to Customer Services, I got a letter back saying sorry and to try again in 3 or 6 months. I have since been to Abbey, where a teller told me, I would fail the credit scoring but then they could appeal for me. They did this and I heard nothing so wrote to the appeals underwriter. He wrote a nice letter back saying they don't accept discharged bankrupts until ONE YEAR after discharge. I have now written to NatWest showing them the letter from Abbey and telling them if I haven't been upgraded by April, I will close my Step. I wouldn't mind but I am paying £1,500pm from wages and pension into the account and have a few grand in their Esave account. Bankruptcy isn't just for 1 year it is for life! Well in my case at 66 it is.

Mel x
By jonnie000
#30980 As I thought, my Experian file has the BO on it. Not surprised. Just have to get all the data up to date now. Think I'll start off with threatening letters, from what those of you who've been through it have said this seems all they take notice of. Pointless pleading, I'll make it clear my intentions from the beginning!

Mel> I see you feel bankruptcy is stuck with you for life. Put it this way, before I bankrupted myself I had no choice but to take finance to pay for things, use cards to pay for food, and work as many hours as I could to pay the debts. Now after bankruptcy and discharge I can start to think about setting up my own little business that I've always wanted to do but couldn't because of the overwhelming financial burdens I once had. It's different for everyone, but a "black mark" on my financial history is not going to get in the way of having the life I want, and it should be like that for everyone. Having a proper VISA and cheque account is not the be all and end all. Sorry, sounds like I'm having a go... I'm not, I'm just trying to stress that though it's nice to have the financial options open to you that good credit history offers, there are other ways, as you've proved yourself. Great news on the Morgan Stanley situation by the way.
By 50k
jonnie000 wrote:Having a proper VISA and cheque account is not the be all and end all.

very true, its surprisingly easy to get along without either 8)
By Mel_Odious
#30986 Thanks Johnnie,
I usually use the line <could be blighted for life> with new or young posters considering bankruptcy and where I feel they must be made aware that it could be around their necks for a long time. It hit home recently when on an Application the question was asked "Are you or have you ever been bankrupt?" and that is what I want people to be made aware, You, yourself are taking advantage of bankruptcy in the way it was specifically meant under the Enterprise Act 2002 I believe and that is to give small businesses a new start. I wish you luck in whatever venture you eventually start up.

Mel
By jonnie000
#30994 I'm in my late 20's and think other than winning the lottery it was the only way to get my life back. Was definitely the right choice for me, and the sooner it was done the better in my case. Dragging it out longer would've A) stressed me out and B) meant the changes I wanted to make to my life would have come later on than they could've been.

Thanks for your support of my intentions. It's something I've always wanted to do, but couldn't. Financial burdens are the result of higher education costs and this "must have it now" culture that we live in. I feel sorry for any University Students who are borrowing their way through their education. They dont get given the info they need as far as what implications there are in having those costs to meet when they start working. It's a lot of money, but it doesn't feel like it when you're given it so freely and easily. Poor sods.