Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By mysticegg
#218813 Hi,

We were discharged from BR over 2 years ago. I went to open a standard savings account with my bank just now (Co-Operative Bank) and my application was refused on the grounds of bad credit.
I can understand not being able to operate a standard bank account, with overdraft/cheque guarantee etc, but I don't understand why a credit check is required when all I want to do is save money?

We've finally got ourselves in the position where we can afford to put some money aside for a rainy day, but i'm not able to open a savings account.

Does anyone have any suggestions of savings accounts I might be able to open, or is there anything else I can do?

Many Thanks
By Red Devil
#218817 Lodge an appeal with the Co-op. My application for a savings account was declined for the same reasons. When I phoned them to find out why the lady I spoke to said that she would lodge an appeal for me and within a week I had the account.
By mysticegg
#218882 I gave them another call and asked about appealing. They said I needed to write in, but said I should qualify for an ISA. I went through the application and I should know the result shortly. Fingers crossed!
By Red Devil
#218892 That's strange, they lodged the appeal on my behalf.

Good luck with the ISA application.
By Bigmac
#218903 There are plenty of banks out there that don't credit check. I've got accounts with Citibank and Northern Rock and neither of them credit checked me and they both give top range interest.
By Iphigenia
#218905 I was able to retain my pre-bankruptcy savings account, although it took a lot of persuading. For some reason, Co-op never allowed me to have an ISA, and just gave up answering my letters when I asked why. (The phone operators just kept saying no, and that there was no-one to refer up to.)