Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By pizzled
#212212 hi all,

as im self employed i will be due a tax rebate this year......
i was made bankrupt in march 08 and discharged march 09, will the rebate be mine or will they take it all.

many thanks in advance
By TalbotWoods
#212214 As HMRC will have been informed of the bankrutpcy, they should send any rebate directly to the OR, not to you.

If they send it to you, work out what you need to 'spend' it on then talk to the OR, as your case is closed they may well let you keep it.

If you dont declare it, and the OR then finds out, tey will come after it and want it all!!

Tim
By pizzled
#212216 thanks for the quick reply, as HMRC will know that im bankrupt, will they know that im discharged or do i have to inform them ( foward planning for the next tax year )

many thanks
By TalbotWoods
#212218 They should know, but for the sake of peace of mind, it would not hurt to inform them in writing. That way if they get it wrong, you can formally complain!!

Tim
By opsins
#212224 I agree. I was due a tax rebate and HMRC contacted me after I was bankrupt to advise me how much it was and they were going to send it to me. I knew it wasn't mine and so I rang them to explaing and they sent it straight to the OR instead.