Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByStephen
#88532 Just been given ED, so of course now I have a whole NEW set of things to start thinking about! Two parts to this particular little mess!

1) Prior to Bankruptcy I had a current account with the Abbey, which was in the black, had an overdraft facility, but I had no other 'credit' with them and don't "owe" them anything. After declaring bankruptcy I opened a seperate "basic" account with them, which I have been using. What is the status of my original account? I know it is still 'open', as I still receive my statements, and also can view the account online etc. I haven't touched it since bankruptcy but now I wonder whether I can? If I use it now am I doing something "wrong"?

2) Similar situation with Nationwide. Had a current account etc., opened a new one after declaring bankruptcy etc. BUT - I had a Credit Card with Nationwide. Now, this is still showing when I log into my new account online (for some reason all my accounts show!) - when will this disappear? Do I contact the Nationwide and ask them to 'remove' it, as it has now been settled in my Bankruptcy? Will it happen in a while anyway? Does the OR have any further contact with my Creditors to say that I have been discharged? I know it is hardly an important thing - but logging in and seeing thousands of £s of "Debt" is a little crap :-(

I know that a Bank can close your account pretty much anytime should they choose to do so, but now I have been discharged, they would'nt be able to "take" any money that is in my new account to "pay off" the Credit Card would they? (I had cautiously used the new account and not put much money in at any one time as I assumed they'd do this during my Bankruptcy but didn't) I would like to think that is the case, but am not willing to 'lose' any money now!!

Thanks in advance! :-)

Stephen
ByTalbotWoods
#88547 Hi Again Stephen (we must stpo meeting this often or people will talk!)

With reards to the 'open' account I would sugggest give them a call, or better still write to them aking for the reply in writing) what the actual status of these account are. But please dont be disappointe if the acount are actuall frozen. THe nationwide leaves the accoutn showng until you are discahrged int he hope that they wil get something from the OR!!

The Nationwide Creist card WILL be frozen, they didn't remove mine until a year after my bankruptcy and I did speak to them about it!!

Have a look at this thread it will expain more about banks and bank accounts in bankruptcy cases:

http://www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_for ... php?t=9905

All the best

Tim
Bybernieflint
#88582 Hi Stephen,
Congratulations on getting your early discharge.

I recently filled out and sent back an IPOQ. Presumably you had to fill out one of these forms as well before you got your e d ? Do you mind telling me how long you had to wait before sending in your IPOQ and getting your discharge.I sent mine in 35 days ago, and at the moment I'm checking the I S website twice a day to see if I'm still listed as being B on it :roll:It's driving me crazy,I just wish I knew one way or the other. I think I am suffering from EDS(Early discharge syndrome) :roll:
ByTalbotWoods
BERNIEFLINT wrote:I sent mine in 35 days ago, and at the moment I'm checking the I S website twice a day to see if I'm still listed as being B on it :roll:It's driving me crazy,I just wish I knew one way or the other. I think I am suffering from EDS(Early discharge syndrome) :roll:

The aboslute minimum time and that is if everything is done immedialty is 56 days.

There are also obvious hold up, some in the OR's offfice due t high case loads (ED are a low priority in the work scheme), some at the Court (when the form arrives the DJ has to sign and stamp it, and again this is a low priority), and of course the normal postal delay problems!

I normally say allow about 60 - 70 days before developing the syndrome, and yep I can remembr doing exactly the same thing!!

Tim
Bybernieflint
#88606 Thanks for the info Tim..I think that I am going to have to make a resolution with myself, that I wont check the I S website untill the end of the month :)

I would be interested to know though from any forum members who got an e d , the time gap between returning their IPOQ and getting discharged :?:
ByStephen
#88707 Hi Bernie,

I was doing EXACTLY the same as you - checking the site in the morning, and then probably in the evening too... you can't help it, can you?

Well, I received my IPOQ (just checking the dates) on the 7th July and returned it the same day. It was delivered on the 11th July (hmmm - bless the royal mail for taking 5 days to deliver a 1st Class item of mail, even if it was over the weekend!)

I checked the IS website this morning and saw my ED for the 1st time, although the date of my actual discharge is down as 23rd August. So by my reckoning that's actually 43 days, and then 57 days total to seeing it on the website.

So - somewhere between the 35-52 day thing would appear to be the median (or is it mode?? or mean??? sorry - Maths never was a strong point!)

Fingers crossed you get yours soon too! It is a good feeling, I can't deny it. I know there is a whole world of CRF things to deal with now, but being out of Bankruptcy is GREAT!
ByTalbotWoods
#88708 For those that are wondering how the ED process works:

*]http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/freedomofinformation/technical/casehelpmanual/Discharge%20from%20Bankruptcy/discharge.jpg[/img]
Bybernieflint
Stephen wrote:Hi Bernie,

I was doing EXACTLY the same as you - checking the site in the morning, and then probably in the evening too... you can't help it, can you?

Well, I received my IPOQ (just checking the dates) on the 7th July and returned it the same day. It was delivered on the 11th July (hmmm - bless the royal mail for taking 5 days to deliver a 1st Class item of mail, even if it was over the weekend!)

I checked the IS website this morning and saw my ED for the 1st time, although the date of my actual discharge is down as 23rd August. So by my reckoning that's actually 43 days, and then 57 days total to seeing it on the website.

So - somewhere between the 35-52 day thing would appear to be the median (or is it mode?? or mean??? sorry - Maths never was a strong point!)

Fingers crossed you get yours soon too! It is a good feeling, I can't deny it. I know there is a whole world of CRF things to deal with now, but being out of Bankruptcy is GREAT!
Thanks for that stephen.It's nice to have some idea of the time scale involved.