Issues and questions that come up during your bankruptcy period

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By tia bethany
#42585 hi all just to update u ,or called last night, bit of a shock as i thought it was friday she was calling anyway good thing diddent have time to work myself up. she was really nice she asked alot of questions on what money was spent on and how much we earned 5yrs ago when we got into difficulties this was hard being so long ago .anyway we were as onest as we could be. she said they are not going to take money from wages or do the tax thingy(sorry dont know the names ) as it nearly the end of the tax year. but big but they are looking into the car my dad bought us to see its value really worried as this is hubby transport for work he would have to give up work without it . i phoned the vw garage to a valuation they said because of millage and the year they wouldnt sell it and it would reach about £1500 in the auction? has anyone had this or knows where they get their valuation from? surely they would need to see the car for that sorry to go on but this is the first permenant job hubby has had any advice would be great . thanks tia
ByVanilla_sky
#42587 Oh tia I hope your car is safe, Mel always says if its for work then they usually dont take it.

We will be in the same position cos OH needs ours for work and would have to pack in if we lost it, it seems odd that an OR would take a car knowing it would leave a man out of work....how stupid is that?

What valuation did you put on the car on your forms?
By tia bethany
#42590 thanks nilla , i put £1400 on the forms as the solicter advised us to do this but my dad said its about £3995 in the car book hees got obviously hes not to happy about it nothing we can do i know but its the waiting. i asked when we would know she said a few days but wondering where they get their valuation from? i would think a auction it has really high milage so thats why vw said it wont get much and the year is 2000 so that was to old for tham they sell new cars . i wish u good luck with ur br have u a newish car?
thanks tia
ByVanilla_sky
#42591 No ours is an S reg Xsara, in the book it says £1,000 but ours isnt in good shape...central locking knackered, 2 almost bald tyres and we cant afford to have it done till after B as need to get the fees together.

I put £600 on forms cos thats all it would fetch at auction, just hope we can keep it cos OH has no chance of getting another job in this town and his job now is £10 miles away, he starts at 6am and there are no busses at that time, also need the car for daughters hsopital and respite appointments. we had to wait till we had paid the car loan before we went B so thats why its taken us a year :-( If aster all this we lose the car anyway its been a waste of a year

Keeping my fingers crossed for you
By tia bethany
#42593 good luck then .same here hubby works 10 miles awy but depending wre work is he might need to travel 100 miles never know were he will be he has to leave some mornings 5am if hes gotta go to reading or birmingham . it was such a relief when or phoned last night to get that over with i gotta ring c/tax today as i have been paying them, paid them over one thousand since october but or said to tell them im br not to pay anymore dreading it as if ive missed payment they send of to hubbys work for money to come from wages hope they dont do that. fingers crossed . when i spoke to soliciter at cab he said car value should be under £1600 for them not to take it so u should be fine let me know how u get on. thanks for now tia
By geordie
#42613 the receivers usually use either cap or glasses guide when valuing a vehicle however the difference between book price and auction price varies immensely at the end of the day if you can argue that the car is needed for your family and to enable you to earn a living you need the car to get to work as public transport is not an option then you may be able to persuade them to allow you to keep it however going back over what people have posted about there o/r interviews the receivers all take a different view as to what a vehicle is worth and to what someone may keep and what needs selling we have seen here where a car worth £300 was taken from a person however this was because it was there second car which was not getting used ive seen people keep a car up to the value of 2 grand so good luck geordie
By lofty
#42614 Hi Geordie...............Re the motor that was me. I had a beat up old thing and my oh had a half decent car. They took the old one for auction but my old lady offered them £200 to buy it back in her name to which they agreed.
By geordie
lofty wrote:Hi Geordie...............Re the motor that was me. I had a beat up old thing and my oh had a half decent car. They took the old one for auction but my old lady offered them £200 to buy it back in her name to which they agreed.

i could not remember who posted about the car but it sort of stuck in my mind i think if you are honest with the o/r they usually are pretty reasonable geordie
By Mel_Odious
#42711 This was a different case, I think on t'other side where a guy had a citroen, I think it was, off the road and worth about £350. The soppy bloke did say to the OR that it could be wanted by an enthusiast for the parts and actually suggested putting it on Ebay. The car went for £350 on Ebay and the poor guy had to hand over the dosh to the OR.

Mel
By steffie53
#42786 Gosh, that was tough, Mel. I tried to sell my Rover a few weeks ago (its M reg and in really nice condition) as I thought it would help towards the court fees, even though it would break my heart to see it go. I never had one call despite it being a fair asking price. I'm glad in a way but maybe it would be frowned upon by OR to get one's fees that way?
By Mel_Odious
steffie53 wrote: I'm glad in a way but maybe it would be frowned upon by OR to get one's fees that way?

I've never owned a car and don't drive.
When I went bankrupt in '02, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the cost of the bankruptcy could be added to the creditors! Then there was the Enterprise Act 2002 and since then I haven't seen it. I know many have drawn from credit cards (where they had £460 left to draw) and have never heard of anyone getting into trouble over it. I am pretty sure, it would be OK to raise the fees that way. Is that all it is worth £460? Because you had better hang on to any balance over that amount but then again you will need money to live on for the first month so would guess that would also be Ok.

Mel x
By steffie53
#42806 Yes, I advertised my car at a lowish price prior to being signed off ill as I could then have raked enough together for the fees and for the first month thereafter. Now I'm going to be on benefits for a while things have changed of course.
By Cheesecake
Mel_Odious wrote:
steffie53 wrote: I know many have drawn from credit cards (where they had £460 left to draw) and have never heard of anyone getting into trouble over it.

I did that. When OR asked me when was the last time I used that credit card, I said this morning - so I could pay BR fees. I said I tried to save some money, but every time I saved some, creditors would call me and I end up paying 10 here, 20 there.
By tia bethany
#42970 thaks everyone for your input , waiting to here back from or dont know if i streeed enough about hubby needing it for work do u think i should phone her tommorrow and mention hed have to give up work if the car was to go? its the waiting game now . also waiting to here if i can get the coop basic account has anyone applied for it after going br or did u have the accont to start with ? and do they do a credit check? they said to ring tommorrow as no decision has been yet made. also contacted c/tax today and they were great but said i needed to pay from the date i went br to the end of this tax yr for this yr is this right ? thanks again tia
ByVanilla_sky
#42973 tia the CT sounds right, as I go B in March I expect to start the new CT year in April and just carry on paying

I would phone OR and explain that if you lost the car hubby would be out of work, it seems daft that she would let a man lose his job just cos of a car

Nilla x