Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By ruskyrab
#223118 HI IM LOOKING FOR ADVICE PLEASE,I WAS MADE BANKRUPT IN SCOTLAND IN NOVEMBER PASSED,I HAVE NOW MOVED TO GUERNSEY AND WORKING HERE,IS THERE ANY WAY I WOULD BE ALLOWED TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT HERE TO PAY IN MY WAGES AND WILL THEY DO CREDIT CHECKS?IF SO HOW DO I GO ABOUT OPENING AN ACCOUNT HERE AND WHERE DO I NEED TO GO?WHAT BANKS WILL TAKE ME?
By TalbotWoods
#223128 As the Channel Islands are part of the UK, then they will carry out UK Credit Checks.

Currently two banks accept undischarged bankrupt, they are:

Barclays Bank (Basic Cash Card Account)
Co-operative Bank (Cash Minder)

However, when applying make sure that they are only looking at the above accounts especially Barclays as they have a habit of scoring you for their normal account (which you will fail)

Tim
By ruskyrab
#223129 thanks for the advice,i have one other question,i know that you are saying the channel islands are part of the uk but on some things they are not.am i still liable to have to pay them something every month?,can they insist on taking money from me?there will be no point working and is there anything they will do to make my life a misery here?
By TalbotWoods
#223131 If you have gone bankrupt, then no matter where you live the bankruptcy rules apply. Any money you may have formally owed to them is not longer a personal debt to them.

However, when there is sufficient moneys left from income after all you normal expenditure is taken off then an IPA could go into place. ( http://www.aib.gov.uk/MainNav/Services/ ... ate/income )

It is my understanding that this is run pretty much in line with the IPAs in England, so if you look at this link below it should explain more. But please read the second post first, that way it will make much more sense

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9679

Tim