Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Stowaway
#186469 Hi guys,

i've read most of the posts on here and i am aware most of these questions have been answered at some point but answers to this would be great.

Basically £6k worth of debt and i'm going to Oz in May due to a family bereavement. Lived in the UK all my life with an Australian passport (lucky me!). I am not planning on returning anytime soon.

I am aware i should pay them, i work in the enforcement business (for the high courts actually!) p.s. any questions regarding this i don't mind answering!

Now a few of my debts i've paid for years, i've recently had 2 new credit cards but they're £200 limit MAX.

My questions are:

1) Will i be done for fraud here if i leave the new cards i acquired as they're quite recent, although i've made first and second payments?

2) Will i get arrested or a CCJ in Aus?

3) Will i be deported etc? Even with my proper passport.

4) Is it "better" to send a letter to creditors re: my situation saying i'm going abroad or should i just go??

5) Will i be made B/R?? My biggest debt is only £3k (loan - unsecured)

Thanks in advance

P.s i am not condoning debt avoidance, i do want to pay them but not yet, who knows in a few years. I'm just worried about my immediate next few years and would like answers from the knowledgable "team" i've seen answer other questions

Thanks guys
By Yogi Bear
Stowaway wrote:1) Will i be done for fraud here if i leave the new cards i acquired as they're quite recent, although i've made first and second payments?

2) Will i get arrested or a CCJ in Aus?

3) Will i be deported etc? Even with my proper passport.

4) Is it "better" to send a letter to creditors re: my situation saying i'm going abroad or should i just go??

5) Will i be made B/R?? My biggest debt is only £3k (loan - unsecured)

1) No. Not unless the creditor can prove you took the cards out with the deliberate intention of not repaying.

2) Assuming consumer debt is a civil matter in Aus, the same as it is in the UK, then no. You may well get a DCA or tracing agency chasing you for it, though.

3) No. Not for this, at any rate. :lol:

4) Better to notify the creditors of what you're doing and if possible provide a forwarding address or maybe an e-mail. At least it'll save any friends/relatives in this country being bothered.

5) No. To bankrupt you for £3k would cost the creditor at least half as much again. Creditor petitions for ordinary consumer credit debt are extremely rare.
By Stowaway
#186505 Cheers Yogi

What a star :mrgreen:

p.s. i was going to write to them saying "I have had to go abroad and i am not at my address"

but then fail to mention my new address, i don't know them until i get to Oz!!

Thanks
By Yogi Bear
Stowaway wrote:p.s. i was going to write to them saying "I have had to go abroad and i am not at my address"

Hence my suggestion of an e-mail contact :wink:

I don't know how easy it is for a UK creditor to take recovery action in Oz, but I'd be wary of ignoring it altogether. On the other hand I'd imagine that if you were to make some sort of repayment offer from there, you'd be in quite a strong negotiating position.
By oliver1982
#186694 Do a search for the consumer action forums (or consumer action group - I cant remember) and have a look at their forum.

do a search for Australia in their debt forums and you'll see some interesting answers to your questions. Im not trying to be cryptic - Ive just forgotten what I read but it was good !!!