Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bynomoneybigdebts
#168303 I have been on german websites that help german people in debt and from what I have found out it is extremely difficult to get a basic bank account in Germany.

People who have money problems just can't get any bank account whatsoever :shock: .
Even people who haven't gone bankrupt, just people who are on the dole or receiving social security. They are treated like social outcasts there. There is a law in Germany that banks have to provide what's called a "Jedermann" account (an account for "everyone"). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be done by the banks.

What will we do? We will need a bank account for mr.nmbd's wages to be paid and things like rent, lecky etc. also have to be paid by Standing Order in Germany.

Will we be able to have an ordinary Giro Konto? You don't get a credit card with this unless you ask for one and we have no intention of asking. They also don't let you have an overdraft facility for at least a year. You have to have regular wages paid in before they give you an overdraft. And then they ask if you want it first. Again, we have no intention of taking them up on this not after a year and not ever.

Any ideas anyone?
Bynomoneybigdebts
#168313 Please :help:

Even an educated guess will do.
ByTalbotWoods
#168317 Unfortunately this is one no-one will be able to answer, as we just don't have the knowledge of the German Banking system.

Yes there are quite a few ex-service people, who will have served in Germany, but they would have had full accounts.

However, what I strongly suggest is approaching the UK branches of the German banks and trying to get something set up over here, for use over there.

They will have the relevant information, they will know what can and cant be done, and they will know how to obtain an account.

Tim
Bynomoneybigdebts
#168337 Mr. nmbd came up with an answer last night after a lot of thinking (doesn't do him any good :lol: ).

Here goes and I don't know if this is going to be possible as I don't know how this account works.

We are going to open a cashminder account before we go bankrupt anyway, so we will simply keep this open and do all our banking from this country?
Do you get a card with the cashminder that lets you withdraw money abroad?
Can hubbys wages be paid into there from abroad?
Can we pay our rent, lecky, gas etc. from this account to a german account?

Mr. nmbd says all this is possible as they are just simply transactions, not someone from the UK having to go to Germany with a big fat wallet. I'm a bit stupid when it comes to things like this and can't believe it could be so simple :? .

I apologize if these are stupid questions and I seem like a complete moron :stupid:
ByYogi Bear
nomoneybigdebts wrote:Do you get a card with the cashminder that lets you withdraw money abroad?
Can hubbys wages be paid into there from abroad?
Can we pay our rent, lecky, gas etc. from this account to a german account?

You get a VISA Electron card, which can be used at ATMs overseas which are part of the VISA network.

Payments can be made to and from bank accounts in other EU countries using an IBAN code to generate the transfer: presumably a Co-op account will have one:
http://www.europebanks.info/ibanguide.htm
However, you'd be well advised to check beforehand as to what sort of costs are involved: I didn't think they were free. :(
Bynomoneybigdebts
#168343 Thank you Yogie Bear :flower:

Yes, I will check as I also don't think this service will be free :cry: .

As long as we can have a bank account though I am willing to pay the price (providing it is not a fortune).

At least (for the moment) I'm not panicking over how to pay our bills :eek: .