Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bylala
#163845 Hi,I have about 38k worth of debts all unsecured and am leaving the UK.I will be paid a pension around £450 per month into my bank will my creditors be able to take all this ?
Bybaileys572
#163889 Hi lala,

I think you'll find that yes they can, if you have a debt linked to that account?
For instance if you have a loan say with HSBC and you bank with HSBC then they can offset the money from your account.

Am i right in thinking that you are going abroad and not contributing to your creditors in any way??
Bydannyboy660
#164211 As already stated they can take some, possibly all, if you have an outstanding debt to the people you bank with.

It would be wise to open a basic account without credit facilities with another bank, and having your pension paid into that instead. Then you keep control of your own finances.
Other creditors can not interfere with your bank account in any shape or form without a third party order from a court, and that is a long way down the enforcement road and nothing to worry about at this stage.
Bylala
baileys572 wrote:Hi lala,

I think you'll find that yes they can, if you have a debt linked to that account?
For instance if you have a loan say with HSBC and you bank with HSBC then they can offset the money from your account.

Am i right in thinking that you are going abroad and not contributing to your creditors in any way??

I could make a minimal payment of say £10 to my six creditors.What are the chances of them accepting this payment.