Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

#472488 Hi all :D

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise regarding Irish unsecured debt?
All credit cards.

I have a creditor saying they will be now be taking legal action over debt that i have already told them i cant afford anymore & once i get some money/job i will repay.

what is the procedure for them to bring me for court if i live in Uk permanently? i have told them this but not given them my Uk address. All letter have been to my parents house, who have also told them i no longer live in Ireland.

timmy :(
#472489 Hi Timmy,
You didn't say if you have debts in Northern or Southern (EIRE) Ireland. Both Eire and Northern Ireland have different procedures to England & Wales, and Scotland is different again.
A debt does not automatically transfer to another country. The basic rule is that a debtor must be sued in the country in which they are domiciled regardless of nationality, unless it’s a case of negligence, employment, insurance or land disputes. Many creditors do not bother to take court action against someone living abroad, but if you can clarify NI or Eire, I may be able to give you a more detailed answer.
#472490 Hi Sally.

Thank you for reply.

Yes I lived in Southern Ireland and all debts are from there.

#472491 Hi Timmy,
As your debts were accrued in Southern Ireland, the law is completely different from UK.
I'm afraid I can't give you detailed advice about what creditors can do now that you live in the UK.
I can confirm that they would need to start any court action against you in Ireland not the UK. This could be problematic for you as they will no doubt send any letters, court papers etc to your last address and so unless you have arranged for post to be forwarded to you here, you won't know if they have taken action and if so what action. I suggest you contact MABS, the Money Advice and Budgeting Service - you can find their website here:
Their website has some really useful information about debts in Eire and will be able to give you much more advice on how they deal with debt over there than I can.
Sorry if it seems I am fobbing you off, but I want to be sure you are getting the best advice and I am not an expert on Irish Law.
I do, however, know that as they are part of the EU, they MAY have reciprocal arrangements allowing them to use the English courts to recover monies owed. I'm sure MABS will be able to help you and they offer free advice.
Good Luck
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest