Update: a new version of this blog is now available by clicking here

I want to go bankrupt but I can’t afford the fees and so I’ll end up paying my debts for the rest of my life. How can I get help with bankruptcy fees?

It may seem a strange irony that going bankrupt costs money, and many people are put off considering bankruptcy as a debt solution because of this. However, there are companies and organisations that can help you with bankruptcy fees and who will consider a person’s application on its merits. Below are three possible avenues to consider when trying to get help with bankruptcy fees.

1. Contact utility company Trust Funds

Water, gas and electricity suppliers often run Trust Funds that are specifically set up to assist customers with their fuel costs, and some will accept applications for help with bankruptcy fees. You can obtain an application form by calling the customer services number on your bill. Once you’ve filled this in and sent it back, it’s up to the company concerned to decide if they can help. If they can, the money is offered as a gift and is not repayable by you. Here are some of the larger utility company Trust Fund websites:

If your utility company is not represented here, then simply ask a customer service representative from your supplier who will be able to advise you further.

2. Talk to your union’s Welfare Officer

If you are a member or former member of a union and feel you can talk to the Union’s Welfare Officer, you can ask if they are able to assist by giving help with bankruptcy fees. For union contact information in the UK, find a Union here.

3. Speak to your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB)

It would also be worth contacting your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau. They may know if there are any local funds that you can apply to, to help with bankruptcy fees.

Free debt advice about bankruptcy

If you’re worried about your level of debt, then you can talk to a Payplan debt adviser who can discuss all your options and recommend the best free debt solution. Call free on 0800 316 1833 or submit a quick debt enquiry online

Update: a new version of this blog is now available by clicking here