Free debt advice for Scottish residents
In Scotland, the laws on dealing with secured and unsecured debt differ from those in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. This means that the range of debt solutions on offer for residents of Scotland is slightly different too.
Our specialist division, PayPlan Scotland, specialises in providing tailored advice and guidance for residents in Scotland who are experiencing debt problems. Contact us today for help and advice on dealing with debt in Scotland.
Debt Help Scotland Request
Debt help requestIt's simple, so let's get started
Here is a summary of the key differences with debt solutions in Scotland:
- Trust Deed: Broadly equivalent to an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, a Protected Trust Deed in Scotland is a formal agreement whereby you repay a percentage of your debts to your creditors for an agreed period (normally between 4-5 years) and at the end of the period, your outstanding debt is written off.
Find out more about Trust Deeds.
- Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS): This Scotland-only debt management tool is similar to a Debt Management Plan (DMP), which is also available to residents of Scotland. The main difference between DMP and DAS is that DAS is a government-backed initiative. It allows for the repayment of debts over a longer period of time, with all interest, fees and charges being frozen during the period. Whilst in the scheme, you’re also protected from creditor action to recover the debt.
- Minimal Asset Process (MAP): This is effectively the Scottish equivalent to a Debt Relief Order in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It provides a lower cost route into bankruptcy for people in debt with low income – i.e. you are in receipt of benefits only for at least 6 months, or have no available surplus after being assessed using the common financial tool. To qualify for MAP, you must have total assets worth less than £2,000 (with no single asset worth £1,000 or more). If you own (or jointly own) a house or any other property, you can’t qualify for MAP.
- Sequestration: The Scottish equivalent to bankruptcy, this debt solution has the most dramatic effect on your credit rating and personal circumstances, but in some cases it can be the only viable solution available.
Find out more about sequestration.
Call PayPlan FREE on 0800 280 2816 or use our Debt Help Form to submit your details online for free debt advice.
In this typical example, we arranged an IVA for our client who was struggling to repay his debts. His payments are now more affordable!
- Debt: £20,000
- Creditors: 3
- Was paying: £520 per month
- Now paying: £120 per month
- Written off: £12,000
Let us help you today
- Free debt advice
- No hidden fees
- Non judgemental
Here at PayPlan, we understand the effect that debt can have on your life, but we believe that living with debt shouldn’t have to mean living in despair.
Get Debt Advice