Join in the chat
Post a Reply | Back to Forum
UK debt after moving abroad - Sally Ann 2019-08-28 22:44:46
Hi, I’ve a question about a UK debt. I took a loan out 4 years ago for £30,000 over a 5 year term. When I took the loan out I had a permanent job and could pay it no problem.

However a few months later I was made redundant and found out at that time I was pregnant. Long story short I wasn’t able to secure another permanent job during my pregnancy and had only state maternity benefit while living in London. I had no choice but to move back to Ireland to my family as I couldn’t afford to stay with no income.

Since returning to Ireland I continued to pay the loan until recently. I’ve not been able to get a permanent job since but managed to scrape the payments together for almost 3 years but in January my financial situation got worse and now I’m not working at all.

I’ve stopped paying the loan since January 2019 ( there was just shy of a year and a half of it left).

I’ve been burying my head in the sand about it and haven’t been strong enough to deal with it yet.

I left the UK three years ago and left no forwarding address. The banks don’t have my current address but they may hold my previous home address on record from when I opened my account. Can the turn up at my home address?

What are the chances of being chased to Ireland for a UK loan.

Arvato loan company contacted me today as I did provide the bank with my phone number. I wasn’t able to talk but told them to call back. It’s a UK number they called off.

I probably owed close to £10,000 by the time all the interest was added to the debt.

What are the chance of Arvato finding me in the ROI and what are they likely to do to enforce the loan.

I’m worried they’ll knock on my parents door and I’m so ashamed of the state I’m in. I don’t have the strength to deal with the bank.

Replies

Re: UK debt after moving abroad - Jane 2019-09-04 12:57:04
Don't be disheartened. You have had a lot to deal with and paid the loan until you could no longer afford to.
A lot depends on whether you are ever intending to return to the United Kingdom or Northern Ireland. They can chase you and it will appear on your credit file for 6 years from the date on which the creditor defaulted the loan but at the last known address they have for you. That means it will be hovering there until at least January 2025 and will affect any future applications for credit in the UK.

You can choose not to answer the telephone or provide an up to date address but the creditor could apply for a County Court Judgment in England - they have to apply using the last known address - and that will sit on your UK credit file for 6 years from the date it was granted.

You do not have the money to pay them at present but may have in the future. If you are intending to return to the UK then it might be as well to let them know and offer a token payment as there is nothing else you can offer.

Ireland is in the EU and so they may be able to find you but if you do not contact them or let them know your address then the above actions are likely to take place. (They could then pass the debt onto an Irish company if they wished who could use Irish enforcement action which this site is not able to comment on).

Name*

Email

Confirm Email

Message*