2. When you get the new number GIVE IT TO NOBODY except family/mates that you can trust and you want to call you.
3. DO NOT give the new number out to "Consumer Surveys" - "Competitions" - even to the Lottery / Tescos Clubcard or the BBC / TV Licencing. They all pass it back to experian and co. When you are in a shop and they ask for your phone number for a Warranty say "It's Ex-Directory" - they don't need to know it. If the product breaks down then you will phone them! You have the receipt!
4. DO NOT give your new number to neighbours. They will be the MOST likely candidates to be CONNED by DCA's into releasing your number to them.
5. If you feel the need to give a phone number on a website then give a PAYG mobile or the OLD number you had - this will be idle for a year anyway.
6. Register the new number straight away with TPS.
Keep your private information to yourself. Ask yourself "Why do they need to know that?" if you are in a shop and not trying to obtain credit. They have NO RIGHT to your private info.
Take control of your privacy. DCA's have no right to harrass. They can write and you can write back. Simple.