Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By dieselc
#315163 good afternoon all.
this has probabably been said many times before......
but what a fantastic site. :D
i am a member of a couple of forums and know full well how much hard work and dedication by a few goes into running such a forum.


my name is chris, im 44 and after a long battle with debt, im now looking to go down the bankruptcy road.
il tell my story in due course, im still busy sifting through some of the threads on the site.
just from the posts ive already read i feel alot better. like someone has put a little jack under this big weight around my neck.

so the dedicated few. thank you. :wink:
By portia1999
#315443 Bankrupsy frightens the hell outta me !!!

would like to hear your story tho ,
i have been in bussiness for 20+years and now im really struggling with debt approx 10k and the landlourd wants not only put up my rent on my shop but also wants me to pay 3 years back rent for a missed rent review , im going to see citezens advice today at 2pm to see where i stand with this ,,, im at my wits end......... with worry :(
after paying morgage and bills im not left with a lot even for food !!! i have no partner so pay for everythingon my own im the wrong side of 40, and feel even tho i have tried,, to find employment elswhere ....its just all gone wrong !!! sometimes i just want to curl up and die
User avatar
By TalbotWoods
#315463 Hi Portia (again :) )

Being in debt is frigtening for many many people, and that is what creditors/DCAs/Landlords rely on to get you to pay.

Many people on this forum have gone bankrupt, and that includes some of the Admin Staff, so we damn well know it is not as scary as it seems, others have gone through DMPs (such as chandjay - read his post if you want to see how to stay in control, and need a good laugh at times).

I do think you are doing right in seeking advice over the rent increase, as far as I am concerned unless it is written specifically into the lease that an increase can be applied retrospectively, then the Landlord cant do this. His fault he failed to carry out the review, not yours, so his loss. I suspect CAB will confirm this, BUT it will depend on the wording of the lease.

With regards the other debts, there are solutions, some may work for you other may not, some solutions are very fast (bankruptcy) some take time and perseverance (DMPs) and there is a range in between. As a rule their is a solution to your current circumstances, and as they change your solution can change.

So please fell free to ask away until you feel more confident to talk to either PayPlan or StepChange.

By portia1999
#315553 is it wise to protect my mortgage first with maybe a 5 year fixed rate my current one has just lapsed ,, what happends if my car needs fixing , or washer breaks etc if all my spare money is divided between creditors , i usualy put unexpected stuff like this on credit card,, wont be able to on a DMP in fact ill possibly be blocked from any type of credit for years wont i ????? how scary
User avatar
By TalbotWoods
#315653 In this instance Portia, you really need to talk to an advisor, as there are questions that should not be asked or answered on a public forum that will effect the answer to this one.

So at this stage please give either of the organisations a call and discuss the options with them, they will ask more detailed questions and be better placed to answer this one privately!

You will also need to consider what are purely personal debts, what are purely business debts, which are personal debts to support the business, and what outcomes you would like.

PayPlan: Is a national organisation with approaching 20 years of experience in dealing with all kinds of financial situations, no matter how bad they are.
Their advice and help starts with a simple phone call to 0800 280 2816

StepChange (formally CCCS) Is an organisation that advises you on available solutions with your financial problems. You can contact them on 0800 138 1111