Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByTF7
#183131 Many thanks for the opportunity for joining the forum :D

My Problem started 4 years ago, My marriage ended and I moved out, fresh start for all concerned.

Under the divorce arrangements, all debts were settled in full as far as I was aware? I never used a solicitor during the divorce and to be honest it was all over simply & quickly. Unfortunatly I have no paperwork (I have moved 3 times) to clarify the situation regards arrangement of financial affairs.

In a nutshell a capital one card with ony £200 credit (March 04) on it escalted to £404.22 this was due to non payment and additional charges over a 6 month period, during which time I never received any correspondence from my ex wife, despite collecting my Son every weekend and taking away with me any mail addressed to myself. Strangley enough payment protection insurance is one element of the increased bill and due to ill health I was absent from work for the best part of 14 wks during this period.

A Debt collecting company (LS11 9WS) has purchased the debt and have made considerable efforts to claim the money from me, Initially I disputed the debt as I had received no correspondence they have after a 6 month battle supplied me with the Capital One statements that I asked for so that I could see for myself the debt claimed / outstanding.

I have offered them £1 per wk as a token gesture only to be rudely told that I need to provide them with a financial statement of affairs , is that legal?

Please advise
ByYogi Bear
TF7 wrote:I have offered them £1 per wk as a token gesture only to be rudely told that I need to provide them with a financial statement of affairs , is that legal?

Basically, yes. The bottom line here is that if they were to opt for County Court action, you would need to supply the Court with an I&E to demonstrate that £1 was all you could afford to offer. So it's reasonable for the DCA to ask for it.
ByYogi Bear
#183252 Not really. DCAs aren't generally interested in the history of how the debt was incurred - only in whether you're making an acceptable offer to repay it. You could try offering a reduced figure as a F&F settlement, though.
ByTF7
#183276 I get your drift (Dissapointed due to the circumstances) although I am unsure of the acronym's used in your response.

So in laymans terms how much do I offer to repay ? and over what period of time ?

Is there a letter template I can use?

Many Thanks, Please advise
ByLess
Yogi Bear wrote:Not really. DCAs (Debt Collection Agencies) aren't generally interested in the history of how the debt was incurred - only in whether you're making an acceptable offer to repay it. You could try offering a reduced figure as a F&F (Full & Final) settlement, though.

Your offer should be an amount you can reasonably afford, after considering you income and expenditure.
ByTF7
#183707 Following the advise given (Many Thanks)

Today I have decided to offer£5.00 per wk as a sustainable repayment figure, Can I ask them for a reduced settlement figure ? I can tweak my letter accordingly.

Please advise
ByGazza1912
#184106 Did you have to pay a Fee for your Capital One card? I had one a few years ago with a credit limit of £200,00 although I had to pay a fee of £100,00 for the card, so in effect I was only granted £100,00 credit. Like you, my outstanding balance escalated to over £400,00 as a result of interest charges etc.

After the debt was *sold* on and after a lot of emails & letters disputing the interest charges, I insisted that before I pay anything towards the outstanding amount that I wanted my £100,00 back. This they refused, so I refused to pay anything towards reducing the debt.

Once again after a lot of messages between us, I invited them to take me to Court as there was no way I was going to pay any money until they had refunded me my £100,00.
They must have thought that they were onto a looser because eventually I received a letter stating that the debt had been written off and the account was now closed but that they were still not going to refund me my £100,00.

Was I bothered? Nope! :wink:
ByTF7
#186586 I have received several phone calls on my personal mobile no from the "RED" group who are an attachemnt of the Lowell group, basically demanding payment?

I have rung Lowell this morning who dispute that my letter dated 24/01/2008 had not been received? I am not a liar I posted the letter and I await further responce in writing to my recent offer
(I assume thats legal & practical?)

The Customer support is lousy? I have ackmowledged the debt ?
I have offered a re-payment plan ? they are still demanding payment in full, which I cannot afford.

Please advise?
ByYogi Bear
#186588 Re-send the letter, this time using Recorded Delivery.

Alternatively, since they have an e-mail address, you could try sending it as an e-mail attachment:
http://www.lowellgroup.co.uk/lowell-group-customer.html
ByTF7
Yogi Bear wrote:
TF7 wrote:Do you work for Lowell ?

Err... No! :? :shock:

Letter emailed, thank you

What a bunch of arrogant t*****s they are
ByGazza1912
What a bunch of arrogant t*****s they are
Yes, but that can be said of virtually every DCA out there.

They are all tarred withe same brush and good manners and customer care is not in their volcabulary.
ByTF7
#187744 YET another call to my personal mobile by "RED" are they allowed to ring my number without my permission?

NO written correspondence received from Lowell since my Email to them on 14/02/2008

I have Emailed them again and will continue to do so daily?

Any advise?