Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByIAC
#472768 Having been down this route myself over a decade ago. I have stepped in to assist . Been a lot of changes , most do not appear to be on the plus side . The IPA changes for a start used to be a sliding scale. Need to do some reading will shout out if I need a hand.Thanks in anticipation
IAC
ByIAC
JaneClack wrote:Look forward to hearing from you when you have any questions!

Apart from this introduction. How do you post a question I have regarding accepted expenditure for a petition. More specifically food as the petitioner is diabetic and consequently spends a lot more on food than us mortals do.
ByJaneClack
#472788 I thought I had submitted the reply but obviously not!

Basically as you know the process is done online now. So you write down what is spent - the Standard Financial Statement is used as a format and certain areas of this have what are called trigger figures and anything above this will be queried. They are not available to the public as they want people to write down what they spend which may be more or less than these figures - if the figures are above and can be justified then that is OK. Otherwise the person may get an income payments arrangement for 36 months if the situation does not change. You can find out about these on the gov.uk website.

I, too, am a diabetic and do not find I have to spend a lot more - and get my prescriptions free. But your family member may be different.

I am sorry I cannot give you exact figures here. They need to be worked out.

Is this the only solution your relative can look at - Debt Management or IVA being no use? It may be worth investigating all options - certainly the Official Receiver likes to see that people have.
ByIAC
#472789 Do the figures £60,000 in the hole . No assets to protect. Income more that halved due to partner's loss of job and as in mid 60's little to no chance of re-employment. All debts in her sole name and 3 years from retirement. Need to protect lump sum from pension by putting it to rest now and paying an IPO for 3 years. before retirement.
ByJaneClack
#472790 I can see why no other solutions strike you as possible. However, you say she is in her mid sixties - so is she past her statutory retirement age? Then it could be looked at as trying to put money out of the reach of creditors.
ByIAC
#472792 No her partner is mid sixties she is 61 or 62 so over 3 years from retirement hence trying to get it over without touching her pension and living in poverty for the rest of her life. She is insolvent now and can not meet her loan /credit card repayments dragging it out makes no sense. An IVA over 5 years would take her past when she retires so she would never complete it or would end up sacrificing her pension payout and as she has no assets to protect I see no point. Best get it out of the way I say.