Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By slwukuk
#455103 Hello all, not sure where to begin....

Bank account closed due to reaching overdraft limit (£3700 ish)

Due to a years ago car accident Admiral have passed the third party cost I owe them to the collections department and they have sent 2 letters to me via my place of work (£6211.17 or £6901.31 if I fail to pay before 19/12/2013)

I have ignored both above debts for well over a year now. I have no fixed abode as I spend a few nights at different places ever since my divorce. I earn £308 per week, out of which £110 is sent to care towards my 4 children. I'm also slowly managing to pay off my credit card (£2000 ish) and my catalogue (£1,822.25) which is the only type of credit now available to me. Any advice on what I should do would be great.

User avatar
By TalbotWoods
#455153 Hi and welcome

Just a few question to start with so we can best advise you.

How old are these debts, and were any CCJs issued against any of them.

What type of bank account was it, and again when was the last time you paid anything towards it. Did you ever receive a default notice for it.


By slwukuk
#455303 Its a current account and yes I think I got a default notice. I've not paid anything back to it and have made no contact in about 2 years. I don't think there is any ccj also. The bank debt is about 3 years old and admiral debt will be 18 month ish
User avatar
By TalbotWoods
#455463 Hi

OK this are what they call live debts, that is one that they can take legal action on if needed, so you are really need to think about dealing with them.

If you ignore them then they may more them to CCJs that way they can chase for a long time.

There are a few options open, but that does mean that you need to deal them, but remember this fact, you have no assets so there is nothing much they can do....YOU are in the position of strength.

As you are earning I would suggest that you chat to one of the organisation listed below, there advice and support is confidential and free (yes I did say free). With them you can talk openly and they will be best placed to find a workable solution for you.

But at thsi stage with the overdraft and the insurance debts it may be possible to get them paid at as little as £1 a month each!

We can talk you thought how to do this, but with one of the organisations below there is a LOT more clout, especially with the insurance ones, these are not the normal type Consumer Type Debt.

Have a natter with them, see what you think and please come back and ask all those "What if" or "Opps I forgot to mention" type questions.


PayPlan: Is a national organisation with approaching 20 years of experience in dealing with all kinds of financial situations, no matter how bad they are.
Their advice and help starts with a simple phone call to 0800 280 2816

NDL: Is an organisation that advises you on solutions that are available to you, you can contact them on 0808 808 4000

StepChange Is an organisation that advises you on available solutions with your financial problems. You can contact them on 0800 138 1111