Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By swarfega
#454213 Hello.

Today I received a letter from CL Finance implying that I owe them a sum of £3136.57. As far as I'm aware I don't owe any such amount.

The only thing I can think that it relates to is a loan for a tv I bought but that was before the year 2000!

I understand that debts older than 6 years cannot be collected.

Is there a way to make this company remove all information regarding me and this debt so I am not hassled by other companies.

This is the second company to try and contact me with this. The first one I managed to barr with a legal letter and it looks like I'll have to do the same with this one. But I'd like to put an end to this completely.

Thanks.
By TalbotWoods
#454263 Hi and welcome

Even if a debt is statute barred it does not mean that they cannot invite you to pay it, but it does mean they cannot harasses you with a barrage of phone calls or letter, they cannot purse the matter in court (though some will try this) and they cannot mess up your Credit Files.

I know it is not what you are hoping for but it is law.

Now you have said it is with CLF, and they DO HAVE a reasonable good reputation for closing down statue barred, permanently. (Be aware that if they are chasing on behalf of another client who actually owns the debt all they can do is had the debt back to them)

So at this stage I would suggest that you send the Statute Barred Letter (see the link below) and also adapt it to ask them if they own it or if they are collecting on behalf of another company.

If they are collecting on behalf of another company then once you know who they are, then you need to ALSO hit them with a statute barred letter (same letter). That should then close the account down fully. Be aware that if you do not inform the debt owner, then once the debt is passed back to them, all they will do is hive it out to another DCA to collect

The Link to the letter is here

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19030

Tim
By swarfega
#454293 Thank you for this useful information, it has helped ease my mind somewhat.

The last paragraph does say this:

"With immediate effect you should no longer contact CL Finance. Robinson Way will be in touch with you in the near future regarding this matter."

I would like to know more about this "debt" and what it pertains to.
By TalbotWoods
#454323 In which CLF are the owners of the debt and they are in the process of appointing Robinson Way to collect.

Wait until Robbers Way get in contact that way you can find out what it is they are chasing.

HUGE tip, do not contact them on the phone, a once a number is discovered they will choose to contact you on that. In writing only, as it ties them down if you ever have to make a complaint.

It may transpire that the debt isn't even yours, and if that is the case then you are going to have to hammer them quickly!

Tim
By Gazza1912
#454343 "Robbers Way" - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priceless!!!!

I too have just recieved a letter today from PastDue Credit. I believe it this relates to an old debt of mine at least 9 years old, if not older.

Needless to say it has been filed in the cabinet marked: 'Dustbin'.
By TalbotWoods
#454983 You can add or subtract anything from a template letter, but there is no legal requirement for any creditor or DCA to close a debt account, as this would then be a loss on their books, which isn't covers (as debts are sold on, on an own risk basis).

All you can hope is that a DCA decides to write the debt off, and unless there are specific reasons why (such as if you are permanently unable to pay due to injury, ect) they wont even do that.

Unfortunately being statute barred is not a legitimate reason for them to close it, but it is a legitimate cause for them to sell in on again, which is what you dont them to do! However, many reputable DCAs do close them down and take the hit themselves, they just dont like being told to do it.

The way the template letter is worded is designed to tell the DCA that it barred and that you know they are allowed to ask to voluntarily pay it, but they are not allowed to hassle you. Most reputable DCAs tend to write off at that stage, but the higher the value of the debt, the more they paid for it, the higher the risk of them selling on, or even selling back to the last owner for a refund of fees.

Hope that explains a wee bit more

Tim
By swarfega
#454993 Thanks for your reply. I received a letter from Robbers Way today asking me to contact them to set up a payment plan. They havent even given me anything resembling an invoice, just a one line bit of information.

I have written that letter and will send it off now. Last time i wrote this letter to a previous company, I did not hear anything for 2 years until Robbers Way came along. So hopefully this will be the case again.
By swarfega
#456433 Just thought Id let you know that I've had a reply from them.

"Please note we have noted the dispute/query you have raised.

We will make the necessary enquiries and let you know the outcome in due course. In the meantime we will stop all collection activity for this account.

Please let us know if we can assist further."

So I'm pleased with this outcome.