Welcome to the new Debt Questions forum. Feel free to say Hi and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By thoughtful
#98312 Hi, I joined here a few weeks ago and honestly I've just been reading the posts (while feeling terrified!!), but I think I ought to say Hello.

We tried hard not to get in this position (a DMP with Payplan - who I think I love :) ), but here we are and the storm's breaking all around us, but Payplan are handling everything. I am not as terrified as I was, but I suffer from mood swings (have been receiving treatment and disability allowance for years). So, while everything's hitting the fan, I'll probably be here reading more than posting, and hope you don't mind.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think what you do here is great.

xx all of you
By Goldie
#98323 Hi and welcome 8)
By gardener
#98352 Hello thoughtful. Welcome!
By onke
#98357 Hello thoughtful, Good lot here !! Will keep you sane !!
By Mel_Odious
#98393 Hello thoughtful and welcome.
We had a thread not so long back, on depression and debt. Quite a few members contributed and admitted that overspending and depression went hand in hand in their experience. So you are definitely not alone.

Mel
By thoughtful
#98398 :D Thanks for the welcome!!
I have been so scared, but reading the posts here has helped a lot. I expect I will be scared for some time to come, but I do think being here will help. xxx
By thoughtful
#98473 - the strangest thing is, that up to a few weeks ago I thought I was in control of our debts, that we could handle them (even after all this time struggling), but we never were, and never have been. I hope that in a few months we can look at this as a reality check, see these creditors for what they really are. But just now it's rough, and feeling out of control, and it seems like they can unleash hell and we just have to wait. But I'm so relieved that we have Payplan. The main thing is that we want to pay everyone, and that we will, but we need a chance to do it.
By installspark
#98485 ....... and a BIG

*]http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/9.gif[/img]

thoughtful wrote:So, while everything's hitting the fan, I'll probably be here reading more than posting, and hope you don't mind.

Of course we won't mind, but feel free to ask anything you want. Somewhere amongst our collective knowledge one of us will probably have the answer.
By thoughtful
#101364 - thanks puddleduck and installspark... sorry it's a bit late, but I wandered off! :oops: :D

Going on a DMP is probably the best thing I've ever done! I started my first 'proper' job in 1977 with an overdraft that helped me go on holiday to Spain with friends. As the job (student nurse living in) paid less than £90 a month, the overdraft never cleared, and everything really followed on from that.

Aside from the fact that I feel we are shielded from the creditors by Payplan, actually living on a budget is the real eye-opener. We may not be able to buy luxuries, but we've divided the amount we have left according to the income/expenditure form we did, and we have the cash in labelled mugs! It feels really nice just to go out with a bit of cash, not be tempted into buying stuff we don't need, and check out the prices of things before we buy. That probably sounds bizarre, but I've never really done it before - everything went 'on plastic' because we had no cash - just payments to make to credit cards!

This is a great site - reading the posts I get scared now for other people, and angry at the tactics the creditors use, but the posts from all the experienced members here help so much, it's reassuring to read them.

:flower:
By Mel_Odious
thoughtful wrote:- It feels really nice just to go out with a bit of cash, not be tempted into buying stuff we don't need, and check out the prices of things before we buy. That probably sounds bizarre, but I've never really done it before - everything went 'on plastic' because we had no cash - just payments to make to credit cards!

That is true of most of us that have come out the other end or are on the way out, thoughtful.
What we did was stupid but you get so deeply in debt, you think what difference is another few hundred quid. The most silly thing is we'd buy something in a sale because it had 10% off and then pay 20-30% interest on the store card. Madness! It's good to see the light and buy only what is genuinely good value for our hard earned cash.

Mel
By merrymouse
#101447 Welcome thoughtful.....hope we can help. We are here if you need us for anything....well almost anything.

We're very social in Off Topic!!
By thoughtful
#102769 :D Hi Merrymouse! I nearly went into Off-Topic last night, but wouldn't have made much sense if I had posted anything!:(
I may try again tonight. Payplan have sent our second payments off, but we had a default notice this morning, which is hard to ignore even though as Payplan says they're automatic, and just to make a note of them.

I've never felt so scared, out of control - and then hit by waves of relief - and then wham! it comes back!!
Relieved there are so many good people here.
Our debt will take 30 years to pay back. I think it's been mentioned the longest here is 28 years.. maybe it's a record, I don't know - but we are paying the buggers back anyway!