Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By stupid!
#3730 Will try to cut a long story short...I went into hiding from my debts in 2003 and hoped they would not catch up with me. Of course they seem to have now. I came home today to find a bailiffs warrant posted thru my door. This is the first communication I have had since the day I left. (I have been living with friends in UK and overseas so haven't registered anywhere). It seems odd to me that the first communication I get is a bailiff calling at my house (I have no idea how they got my address btw), I thought I was supposed to be served with the notice 7 days prior???

My plan is to go down the route of voluntary bankruptcy as I am not earning anything at this time and just living off the kindness of family.

I understand the implications of bankruptcy and accept them.

What should my next move be? Should I tell the bailiff that I am filing for bankruptcy? What will he do in the meantime?

Sorry if this is a little muddled but as I am sure you can imagine things are a little stressful.

I own nothing other than clothes at my current address so I understand nothing of my friends can be touched - is this correct?

Thanks for any help on this.
By stupid!
#3731 Further to my previous question - can I file for bankruptcy even if I am not sure of exact amounts that I owe and to who?
By JaneClack
#3733 Answer to question 2 is yes you can and lots of people do! You just provide all the details you have and the OR will carry on from there! I'd start moving on this straight away - you can download the forms and leaflets from http://www.insolvency.gov.uk

To question one - you may have been given a CCJ in absentia - they sent the claims summons to your last known address etc. Check on the register of CCJs (which Nicky always remembers and I don't) and see - if they have and they have now traced you, you are in default and bailiffs can visit and they let you know with the letter pushed through the door - just do not let them in. No, nothing of your friends can be touched (but you are not going to let them in anyway!)but if you are not on the electoral roll I do not know how they found you - someone must have told them.
By stupid!
#3734 Thankyou for your input Sarah, I have one further question.

Should I take the bull by the horns and file for voluntary bankruptcy or if I leave it will my creditors do that when they realise I have nothing to give them? I suspect the former is the way to go as I expect there would be a lot of grief for me at my friends house which is not really appropriate.
By JaneClack
#3737 You will wait a very long time for your creditors to bankrupt you as it costs them more money to do so and why would they do this if it wasn't going to make them any money!! Exceptions to this are the Inland Revenue, some councils for council tax arrears, Diners Club for some reason and private creditors who may need to do this to claim any bad debts etc.

It sounds to me as if filing for you own would be the best option - do it quickly and you will be out of bankruptcy within a year!
By stupid!
#3740 Thanks again Sarah.

I have downloaded the forms and will start the ball rolling (although the forms look like they could take a couple of days to complete!).

Do I have to present the forms to the court in person or can they be sent through the post?
ByDavidc
stupid! wrote:Thanks again Sarah.

I have downloaded the forms and will start the ball rolling (although the forms look like they could take a couple of days to complete!).

Do I have to present the forms to the court in person or can they be sent through the post?

You need to attend in person together with the relevent fee in cash...Phone up first to see if your court operates an appointment system, most do .
David