Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bydebbie
#3640 Hi i'm debbie
i am in a mess, thanks to my husband, who has left our home gone off with someone else and left all our debts behind too. even though we have a court order for him to pay joint liabilites he hasnt leaving me more and more in debt each month and unable to pay all our creditors, who dont want to know and wont help.I feel now i am on my own and dont know what to do anymore... :(
Byxsavier
#3642 Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear the news.

Can you put a little more detail on the size, number and type of debts? Namely, are they to banks, credit cards, secured or unsecured?

There are many ways forward so if you can provide a little more detail I’m sure help will soon arrive.

For a starter you could do a lot worse than contact the below for some free advice.

national debt helpline
0808 808 4000 (9am-9pm)

CCCS
0800 138 111 (8am-8pm)

Hope this helps.

Neil
ByJaneClack
#3643 Right Debbie!

Think positive first of all - he was not worth having if he did this and so you have to move forward.

Do you own your property as if not then you could use bankruptcy as a route to clear the debt at a stroke and start again. It is a drastic step but it would free you from the burden of debt - and for the debts in joint names - well they would have to pursue him. Your unsecured creditors could be paid as little as £1 per month as a token payment whilst you make up your mind what to do. The creditors are using their ordinary recovery procedures and seem to have your address - if the debts are in joint names he should also be being contacted. But they do need his address!

You do not say whether you are working or on benefits or whether you have children. All these things need to be taken into account - are you up to date on household utilities and so forth.

Please give one of the free debt advice agencies a ring - NDL, FCL/Payplan or CCCS. They will all give you free and impartial advice so that you can see a way forward. They are friendly, non judgmental and you would feel so much better talking to someone as you can cover far more ground.

Please let us know how you get on.
Bydebbie
#3645 thankyou for replying, its nice to know someone understands,
the debts we have are joint loan, and a mortgage which alone adds up ot
700 before i start with anything else. there really isnt much left of my salary.
most creditors have been awful and wont do anything to help me even though i have explained the circumstances, they have left me in floods of tears and no further on with anything.
my mortgage company will not help either
ByDavidc
debbie stewart wrote:thankyou for replying, its nice to know someone understands,
the debts we have are joint loan, and a mortgage which alone adds up ot
700 before i start with anything else. there really isnt much left of my salary.
most creditors have been awful and wont do anything to help me even though i have explained the circumstances, they have left me in floods of tears and no further on with anything.
my mortgage company will not help either

Hi Debbie,
I am sorry to hear of your predicament and am sure that we will be able to help you as best we can.
Can I suggest that you do not ( if you are) post using your name as you never know who is reading and the more information you post will make it easy to find out who you,where you are are ect..... you can use anything I just use my name and initial.....If you do this I would delete my previous profile and re-register.
Best wishes
David
Byhyacynth
#3680 Hi Debbie
Do not despair, I am in financial trouble too. It must be so much harder to bear on your own. I have found this forum a life saver. Keep coming and reading other posts and you will see you are not so alone. It really does help, the advise is so helpful and I think just getting your feelings out in the open is a good thing. Once you have been in touch with the free debt help lines, I went to payplan in the end, they will point you in the right direction. I was very sad to read that you had been crying I have shed many many tears also, Im sure you will resolve your problems eventually as I will mine. One of my creditors told me that I should go round friends and family to see if they could lend or donate some money to help me out she was very angry when I said I would'nt do that and said
"Well it looks like your going to have alot of trouble coming your way and I can tell you now we will not say yes to an IVA either" that Phone call nearly broke me. I was so scared I rang them back to see what they intended doing. This time is was a man who was very nice totally opposite from the woman, he told me not to worry the IVA is handled in another dept nothing to do with them. If you get someone difficult make an excuse to come off the phone and ring them back you will always get a different person and they may treat you with a little more respect.
Good luck and God bless
Hyacyinth