Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byxtlegend
#3347 I’m just filling in the forms and intend going bankrupt in a few weeks. Does the add in the paper appear locally to your current address or the address you were ‘lately residing at’ or both? I ask as the latter address is my parents and I don’t really want them to find out. My current address is some 200 miles from theirs and I haven’t lived with them for a year but seems I have to put it down on the form. Thanks
ByJaneClack
#3349 Bottom line here is - it is at the Official Receiver's discretion.

If all your creditors are aware of your current address and the debts postdate the move then it is very unlikely. The reason for going into the local paper is so that if there are any further creditors they are given the chance to claim against the estate (not that they will be getting anything in the vast majority of cases). Even if the debts pre-date the move as they probably do I think it is unlikely but as we say you can never second guess an OR. It would certainly be the case if it were six months ago but the year is just that bit longer.
Byxtlegend
#3352 Thanks Sarah – yes the debts pr-date my move away to start a new job and all my creditors have my current address. Seems to me this advert business is there to humiliate only as since you swear an oath to say that all your debts are listed on the forms there wont be any others!! Oh well ..
ByJaneClack
#3353 It really is a hang-over from the past (not alcohol induced however) as it was to allow trade creditors - you know the butcher, baker and candlestick maker etc - a chance to make their claim. Just remember it is at the back of the paper in the legal section and has to be combed through to find! And it may well not go in there anyway!