Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Indebted
#288273 I'm sure you have all had the scenario of contacting a creditor or DCA, and the taped message says "This conversation is being recorded for security and training purposes".

Do I, the customer, have a right to ask for a copy or transcript of the recording, and is the other party required to provide it by law (or professional code of conduct)?

It concerns me that if I decide to go to court (unlikely, admittedly), the creditor might have an unfair advantage because I might not remember exactly what I said some 18 months ago.

I would be grateful for enlightenment.

Best wishes for the new year.
By JaneClack
#288283 You certainly do have the right - I asked for one recently and they told me I would have to pay for it and when I
said would they suddenly were able to remember what had been said!! Perhaps I was lucky but I got what I wanted then - was outraged that I would have to pay though. They also sometimes say "training and monitoring purposes" too.
By Gazza1912
#288323 Your voice is your 'property' and no one has an automatic right to play recordings of your voice to anyone else without your express authority and you do have a right to request a copy of the recording AND a written transcript of that recording, prior to it being used in a Court of Law.

The only exception to this would be if the police wanted to use the recording as evidence in a crimimal investigation in which case I don't think you can object to its use, but your Solicitor may be able to.

I recently took part in a recorded interview for BBC Radio Lincolnshire, and I had to sign a form stating that I agreed to my recording being played 'on air', without my signature, the BBC could not use my recording.

As for making a charge for supplying you wiith a copy of the recording, I think that is reasonable provided the cost is not to exhorbitant.
By simont23
#288363 Indebted..do not worry, unless you are 'Goldfinger' with lots of very clearly visible assets they could grasp..tape recordings and DCAs are nothing to worry about. I don't know the facts about your debt, but it wouldn't be the norm for them to take you to court. Tape recording transcripts may be used in certain cases where big money is concerned normally between very large companies disputing multi million pound deals.

Forgetting the workload or the fact that DCAs expect you to lay down and surrender at their puffed up threats, the tape recorded training message is just horlicks. Up to the present day a tape recording has never been be used in a court of law to 100% convict spys, criminals, or anyone. They couldn't even successfully use them against USA President Nixon in Watergate, therefore you may agree that it won't happen.

Even the case of that nutter who did the Yorkshire Ripper tapes, 'Wearside Jack' or whatever the papers called him. That case was only succesful on the nutter's confession and the years of previous evidence from the people he bragged about it to.

Companies make recordings of telephone conversations to reassure you of their good intentions, what a joke..how come all the PPI mis-selling recordings vanished, if indeed they ever existed.

It is law, that stockbrokers, commodity brokers etc use taped calls as they are good in this day and age for anyone disputing a telephone deal. However, identity and security is always established at the outset. When I say identity and security, these people have phones and computers that are so full of security software, even the Queen couldn't buy a barrel of oil if her life depended on it.

DCAs want your dosh, so with them, it is just another ploy to frighten you off your guard.

When it comes to someone who has had your dosh, it changes. A good example...insurance companies claims departments are adept at the taped phone call warning...why...because apart from the fact they just want your money without ever taking a real risk, they have years of research that tell them to use the 'fear factor'. That is the warning of 'tell the truth' puts the caller feeling guilty beforehand and cuts out many from making even bona fide claims. By the time claims assessor has questioned you..you already feel like you must have imagined that you have been burgled and whats the point of claiming for your gold watch if you are going to lose your no claims bonus. Another little piece of advice, if you ring the claims department of your insurance company for advice on whether you can make a claim..it goes down on record as a claim.

If you don't think all this works, how many innocent people get the 'heeby jeebies' when they have a cop car behind them. So my conclusion is don't worry and remember it is your right to refuse to be recorded without a signed contract.
Last edited by simont23 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DuffNCustard
#288373 The SAR which costs £10 covers ALL data including recorded calls (transcripts). As this is a request founded on a legal footing any attempt to 'obfuscate' has the potential for causing no end of aggro. Data protection legistlation is also applicable - a wonderfully murkey, grey area extremely litiginous and should make a DCA decidedly jumpy - they are of course required to adhere to all the guidelines and protocols :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: