Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By TalbotWoods
#217620 Borrowed from another site, as this is of interest to all of us

They are also known as Revenue collection services.

If you have had contact with EITHER Southbank Capital Limited or The Revenue Collection Service, please see the post immediately beneath this one

Hi All,

During a little investigation in preparation for lodging complaints with the regulatory bodies I discovered some interesting, and hopefully useful, information for any one who is currently or has previously been pursued for a credit debt by Southbank Capital Limited either directly or via a Debt Collection Agency (DCA).

Southbank Capital Limited does not hold, nor have they ever held, a Consumer Credit Licence.
Therefore Southbank Capital Limited is not legally entitled to commence, purchase, administrate, pursue or sell any debt or agreement as defined in the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Southbank Capital Limited are not registered as Data Controllers with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Therefore are not legally entitled to hold, process, pass or share with third parties, which includes agents, any personal details for any purpose as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998.

I have checked using the web registers for both Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and Information Commissioners Office (ICO), and verified both by phone to ensure they are not trading under a different name or parent company licence. In both cases it was stated that as a limited company they are expected to hold a licence/registration in their own right which should be under the company name and address as registered at Company House.

You can verify this information for yourself at:

Consumer Credit Licence:

OFT Web check: http://www2.crw.gov.uk/pr/Default.aspx
OFT Phone enquires: 08457 22 44 99

Data Controller Notification:

ICO Web check: http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/search.asp
ICO Phone enquires: 08456 30 60 60

Details registered at Companies House:

(Registration Number – 05161204)
Southbank Capital Ltd
The Old Tannery,
Oakdene Road,
Redhill,
Surrey
RH1 6BT

I have passed this information, with regard to my situation, to the Office of Fair Trading regarding unlicensed collection activity and the Information Commissioner’s Office with regard to data processing. I have included copies of correspondence which proves they claim to have been assigned a debt and claim legal ownership of that debt an have processed and passed personal details to a third party DCA to try and recover said alleged debt.

I would urge any one who is, or has been, pursued for a debt by Southbank Capital Limited to inform the OFT and ICO. You will need to include a copy of any correspondence that evidences administration and collection activity i.e. claims that the debt has been assigned or purchased and any declaration of their ownership of the debt. In the case of data processing by the fact that they have contacted you it is shown that they hold and have administered your personal details, and contact made via a DCA on their behalf is evidence that those details have been passed on to and shared with a third party.

The ICO state that they may not investigate if the issue is over 1 year old, however this date relates to when the offence was discovered not necessarily when it occurred. It is important that even past offences be brought to their attention as this will provide them evidence of continued noncompliance rather than a one off instance.

The addresses you’ll need are: (I have included brief templates for the letters just in case they are helpful)

Enquiries and Reporting Centre
Office of Fair Trading
Fleetbank House
2-6 Salisbury Square
London
EC4Y 8JX.

Unlicensed Debt Collection and Administration Activity –
Southbank Capital Limited

Dear Sir,

I have used The OFT online Consumer Credit Register and validated the findings with the OFT Enquiries Line on Monday Xth Month 2009 and I believe Southbank Capital Limited to be engaged in unlicensed debt collection and administration activity.

Southbank Capital Limited are registered with Company House: 05161204

Southbank Capital Ltd
The Old Tannery,
Oakdene Road,
Redhill,
Surrey
RH1 6BT

Background:
(You will need to provide a brief write up of why you think you Southbank Capital Limited have been or had been administering and debt, including a list of and enclosing any evidence i.e. correspondence.)

Information Commissioner’s Office
Casework and Advice Division,
Wycliffe House,
Water Lane,
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF.

Unauthorised and Unregistered Processing and Administration of Personal Data –
Southbank Capital Limited

Dear Sir,

I have used The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) online Register of Data Controllers and validated the findings with the ICO Enquiries Line on Monday Xth Month 2009 and I believe:

Southbank Capital Limited to be engaged in holding, administrating, processing and sharing my personal data without my consent and without being registered as a Data Controller in the register held and maintained by the ICO which is prohibited by section 17(1) of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Southbank Capital Limited are registered with Company House: 05161204

Southbank Capital Ltd
The Old Tannery,
Oakdene Road,
Redhill,
Surrey
RH1 6BT

Background:
(You will need to provide a brief write up of why you think you Southbank Capital Limited have been or had been processing your personal data, including a list of and enclosing any evidence i.e. correspondence.)

Remember this will also have implications for any DCA who is, or was, acting on their behalf especially in their legal right to process your personal information.

[ Source: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... ost2420569 ]
By TalbotWoods
Good Afternoon

I am a Trading Standards Officer working for Surrey County Council. I have read with interest the previous posts as I have been assigned the case of Southbank Capital Ltd.

I am currently investigating and I would very much appreciate everyone who has been contacted by/on behalf of this company to get in touch with me. I am particularly looking for any evidence that Southbank has been acting as a creditor, i.e. that they have bought debt that is now owed to them by consumers. If this is you, please contact me on matthew.bickle@surreycc.gov.uk

Please note, I am requesting this information for the case of Southbank Capital Ltd ONLY - for all other requests for advice, etc, please see http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

Thanks
Matthew