Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByCrashDive
#6915 Hi,

I have just received a standard letter from C.A.R.S. stating that I owe a Online DVD Rental company £139.87

It states that their client has instructed them to commence debt recovery action as seemingly they have sent several outstanding account reminders.

If I ignore this request, they will:
1. Instruct our local Collection Agent to make a personal visit to your premises.
2. Submit your default account data to a Credit Reference Database.
3. Instruct our litigation specialits to consider legal action against you.

I have never had any DVD's from these people and have never seen any reminders. I did try and sign up over a year ago but could not complete as only had an electron card which they did not accept.

I have written to the Online Rental Company and also C.A.R.S. informing them of the above.
I also telephoned C.A.R.S., told them I was recording the conversation and explained the above again, the girl said they would await my letter.

Am I taking the correct action?

Is there anything else people would suggest?

I was discharged from Bankruptcy on the 1st April, and certainly do not want any further bad info on my Credit Ref BUT if I have to pay these extortionists I might well do if this is the only way of getting them off my back.

best regards
CrashDive
ByJaneClack
#6919 Go to Trading Standards and report this - it is a kind of inertia selling that some book clubs were guilty of years ago - if you have had no DVDs then you owe them nothing.

You said:

I have never had any DVD's from these people and have never seen any reminders. I did try and sign up over a year ago but could not complete as only had an electron card which they did not accept.

You have done all you can. They have to prove you have them and agreed to take them and if you couldn't sign up how could they?
ByCrashDive
#6928 Thank you Sarah.

I have now complained to Trading Standards Consumer Complaints and will await any further developments.

http://www.consumercomplaints.org.uk/

Thanks once again,

best wishes
CrashDive
ByJaneClack
#6940 No problem!! We look forward to hearing from you.
ByCrashDive
#7315 Well the TSO were quick to reply and basically recommended that I write as I had already done requesting evidence of the contract and debts incurred.
They suggested I write to Online Rentals Limited and asked to be removed from their database and for them to confirm that there was no contract or outstanding balance.

TSO guy said he would write to them anyway ref my complaint.

I'll keep you posted, but have heard nothing from either Online Rentals Limited or the Debt Recovery Agency presently, I will chase them up as I want them to provide a written letter saying that I have no contract or debt.

regards
ByJaneClack
#7318 Let's hope this means no news is good news!
ByMel_Odious
#7331 Not forgetting any debt before your bankruptcy was wiped out anyway.

Mel
ByCrashDive
#7337 ' Not forgetting any debt before your bankruptcy was wiped out anyway. '

Yes, I'm unsure if this started before or after I was made bankrupt, when and if I get details from this lot, then I'll certainly have that in mind.

cheers