Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By robg
#6812 Hi all.
Can anyone help me out here??
i owe money to HFC and they have instructed a firm of solicitors to collect the debt. the relationship with these people has been ok but i am unable to keep up the regular payments i agreed with them although i always catch up after a few months. problem is they have been phoning my employer and asking for information about my employment status and income. i have asked them 3 times now to take the work no off their records as this is a personal matter and nothing to do with work. they refuse to do this as they say they need this if they need to put an attachment of earnings order on me.

my understanding is that they cannot do this, it would be a court that did this and i would happily disclose this info to a court. i dont no how they got the number anyway because i never diclosed any employment details and the details i gave on the original loan are now different.

the question i am really asking is can i complain to someone as my complaints to the firm of solicitors are falling on deaf ears.

User avatar
By JaneClack
#6813 There is a letter somewhere on here by Eclipse which tells you exactly how to word it all! Yes, you are quite right at present to go for an AOE they have to have had a judgment on which you have defaulted so it's a lot of noise signifying nothing but they should not be ringing your employer AT ALL. You need to be quite firm about this - how on earth did they get your employer's details?
By mcuth
#6815 Hi Rob

I've found that you really need to battle with HFC on a lot of things, especially regarding how you want to be contacted (see my thread :roll: ).

I think the letter that Sarah refers to is here - also, you might want to look at the National Debtline's harrassment page

BTW, did your employer ever give them that information?


By homely
#6816 although i am bankrupt on thursday barclays rang my employer asking that i need to contact them urgently and also posed as my bank.although they didn't state which bank,i owed on a credit card with barclaycard.i rang the no they left later in the day day and gave the woman a grilling and she said that they knew we were bankrupt but it's the computer that dials the numbers so i told her that if they want any further correspondence to wait until the or contacts and put the phone down.this worried me as they could have let my bankruptcy slip with my emloyer,so i know how it feels when you don't want your financial status divulged to your emloyer
User avatar
By JaneClack
#6817 They need to be sent a letter with a copy of your BO telling them to BO :wink:
By homely
#6819 they've had the copies,but what i have noticed is that the credit card companies are the ones doing all the pestering but the catalogus are just sending the statements,but i think the trouble is that until they hear from the or then they are still going to pester.we're going into the 7th week of our br.
User avatar
By JaneClack
#6823 What a waste of their time, money and energy. You owe them not a penny!
By Eclipse
#6914 Hello,
It was actually by Jojo :D Here's the full post. This has worked wonders for me in the past and is a very useful letter.

Hi Eclipse,

About the agency phoning you when you've requested that they don't contact you by phone. It is essential that you write to them formally requesting that all correspondence is by post. If you've already done this and they have ignored it then try using the following (in writing):

Please note that under the Data Protection Act I am formally demanding that you remove my telephone number from your records. If you fail to do so I will take this matter to the relevant authorities for their investigation. Due to the seriousness of this matter and any legal action which may arise, I will only correspond in writing and will not accept phone calls or personal visits. Should you either visit or phone I will consider this as harrasment and either take legal action and/or make complaints to the Office of Fair Trading under section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.
Section 40 of the act provides that a person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:
(a) harrasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or the occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation.

If you decide to send this then make sure you send it recorded delivery, so that you have proof that they have received it, and they cannot at a later date say that they had not received such notification. Another possibility is to inform them that you will notify their professional association (normally details of this are on the bottom of their letters, a bit like corgi for gas engineers) of their conduct. This normally causes them worries as the have to be affiliated to an association.

Hope this helps,

User avatar
By JaneClack
#6918 Thanks Eclipse and sorry Jo Jo!