Debt Questions forum. General questions on debt issues.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Jayneg
#6699 Hello, can some please give me some advice. I had a company called Jacobs round to my house sometime last year to secure a council tax debt for 2003-04. At the time I let them in (as I wasnt aware I could refuse them entry) and the debt is now paid off. Jacobs approached me by letter asking for the same amount, £70.00 per month to pay off the 2004-05 debt which I have already made two instalments. I have now had 2 visits (when I was out at work) and letters left saying they have attended my property to secure the 2004-05 debt and that if I do not contact them to arrange an appointment my arrangement will be cancelled and the matter will be passed to the Enforcement Bailiffs who will attend the property and remove goods. What are my rights over this matter and what should I do. (I have now defaulted on payments to this outstanding debt and they have been made on time).
ByDavidc
Jayneg wrote:Hello, can some please give me some advice. I had a company called Jacobs round to my house sometime last year to secure a council tax debt for 2003-04. At the time I let them in (as I wasnt aware I could refuse them entry) and the debt is now paid off. Jacobs approached me by letter asking for the same amount, £70.00 per month to pay off the 2004-05 debt which I have already made two instalments. I have now had 2 visits (when I was out at work) and letters left saying they have attended my property to secure the 2004-05 debt and that if I do not contact them to arrange an appointment my arrangement will be cancelled and the matter will be passed to the Enforcement Bailiffs who will attend the property and remove goods. What are my rights over this matter and what should I do. (I have now defaulted on payments to this outstanding debt and they have been made on time).

You have to contact the council and see if they will agree to an instalment plan. I do not understand your statement:
" (I have now defaulted on payments to this outstanding debt and they have been made on time)."
Both can not be correct.
Council tax is one bill you should not mess with and should deal with urgently. It is not a bluff from the bailiffs as council tax debt is dealt
with differntly from commercial debt.
David
By Jayneg
#6701 Sorry was a 'typo' meant to read 'I have not defaulted on payments'
By JaneClack
#6703 in which case Jacobs as an enforcement agent - being bailiffs - should not be seeking enforcement. There has to have been a liability order before they can do this!