Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By argh
#81142 Hello im so confused im in such a mess! i went to council today as i had recieved a section 21 letter from my landlord as he requires the property back at end of agreement, i am now up to date on my rent and have no arrears , my landlord nows i have money problems but doesnt no im going bankrupt, he just needs me out as hes sold his other house and is need to move here, anyway at the council the man i saw said to find another private landlord so i said i had tried so he gave me a list of landlords that take dss so i said but im going to be bankrupt next week will they still take me on? he then got really rude and said well i will have to wait for my landlord to evict me then see a homeless officer but chances are they wont help as ive got myself into debt and made making myself bankrupt so ive brought it upon myself! i dont no what to do! i blame my debt on living in private rented property as i havnt been able to work as i would be no better of with money!
any advice???
By £76K
#81148 They want the landlord to evict you to make you homeless then you get more points & bumped up the list as you are homeless. Ypu have not made yourself homeless by going bankrupt you are homeless because the landlord is taking the house off the market.
By gardener
#81150 If the landlords take DSS anyway it won't make any difference if you are bankrupt. They can always arrange to have the money paid directly to them by the council if they are worried.
By argh
#81162 Hi 76k yeah the man at the council said i will have to get my landlord to go to court to get me out!
Garderner thats what i thought it wouldnt make a difference as long as they get there money but what the council man said was as i got notice to quit by my landlord, when i go to find another landlord is isnt going to accept me as im bankrupt he didnt say there was a law that a landlord cant accept just most landlords are highly unlikely too, and because im in debt its my fault as a new landlord isnt likely to take me ive brought it on myself, i was like yeah do you really think i want to be this mess emm no i dont think so!
By £76K
#81163 Council will not be able to look on it that way they look at the reason you lost your home, so if you owned & lost it due to bankruptcy it is possible that they can say you made yourself homeless, if the landlord is kicking you out for non finance related issues thats what they have to consider not the reason you can not then private rent
By bernieflint
#81165 It seems to me that you are being made homeless because your landlord wants possession of where you live,so it's not your fault.I have been in exactly the same situation recently and know what you are going through.Luckily I have now resolved my situation.

Trying to find property to rent as an undischarged bankrupt can be extremely difficult,as I found out.My big mistake was not moving out of my present flat before I went B.I knew that I was going to have to move out this year, but silly me thought I would do it after going B.When I did try and rent property after going B no landlord or agent wanted to know unless I paid silly money up front.

Are you able to put off going B untill you find somewhere else to rent?
By argh
#81169 My landlord has given me nearly 3months notice, got the notice mid july but have had to wait for housin appointment and have been looking for places but havnt found anything! im suppose to be out of my place in october but my plan was to go to court next week to declare bankrupt! what a mess im in :(
By gardener
#81173 How would you normally look for a flat. Do you just ring round the list of landlords? Would it be worth choosing one or two which you think would be suitable and just sounding out the landlord? If you are ringing them they wouldn't know who you are. Do they actually bother credit checking you anyway if you're rent is paid by the DSS? I mean would they need to know? I wouldn't take too much notice of the man at the council - they are quite often completely misinformed.
By argh
#81201 Ive rented 3 properties 1st was through a ad in local paper and i was working so paid rent myself, 2nd was through a letting agency and they done a credit check on me and i had to pay them £150 to do it what a con!!! and i had to make out i was working at friends comany cause they wouldnt take people on who claim benefits but after a while i think the landlord relized i wasnt working as he use to pass by alot and i was always in, it was horrible having to lie, then the place im at now is through local paper ad and i told landlord i would need to claim some housin benefit to help meet rent costs and he was fine! its just here in london its hard to find landlords who take benefits and to make matters worse a landlord when your bankrupt!!!
By Mel_Odious
#81208 You just have to throw yourself at your local Council. If you are in Tower Hamlets, your chance won't be great. I'm in Westminster and after loads of argy bargy with them, they found me somewhere but by then I was priority because I'm over 60. You just have to keep on at them. If you are being made homeless through no fault of your own, then they have to rehouse you.
Alternatively, take the Hovercraft to France, chuck your passport overboard and come back as an asylum seeker and get a five bedroom house. (I jest of course but it is not too far from the truth in B'Liars banana republic)

Mel
ByVanilla_sky
#81221 Not too far from the truth Mel! There are luxury apartments been built here costing a bomb and the other week they were raided for drugs and it seems a few of them are housing asylum seekers :shock: I thought we seemed to have a lot of foreigners suddenly in the town, I bet the yuppies that are renting or buying the apartments arent happy
By argh
Mel_Odious wrote:You just have to throw yourself at your local Council. If you are in Tower Hamlets, your chance won't be great. I'm in Westminster and after loads of argy bargy with them, they found me somewhere but by then I was priority because I'm over 60. You just have to keep on at them. If you are being made homeless through no fault of your own, then they have to rehouse you.
Alternatively, take the Hovercraft to France, chuck your passport overboard and come back as an asylum seeker and get a five bedroom house. (I jest of course but it is not too far from the truth in B'Liars banana republic)

Mel

PMSL Im to english to get away with that im afraid :cry:
By JaneClack
#472859 I am sorry but you misunderstand the purpose of this forum which is to ask and answer questions on debt.

I would suggest you contact your local council or Shelter for help with this issue. Shelter does have a web presence which can help you find your local organization at http://england.shelter.org.uk/?_ga=2.81 ... 1504275690

I am sorry we can be of no more help.