Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bymrsmith
#2604 Having just declared bankrupt I now have my salary paid into my wifes bank account - which is fine for almost everything.

Except my job involves a lot of travel nationally and internationally and whenever I check into a hotel I need to give a credit card (or I used to give my Visa Debit card in some hotels) so then can take against my room if I do a runner ;-)

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so, do you have a solution? For the time being I'll just have to say I don't have a credit card. Are there any bank accounts for undischarged bankrupts which give visa debit cards for example?

Thanks in advance.
Bykeepchinup
#2605 Hi,

This was discussed lots on numerous message boards and the general concensus is that there is no Visa Debit Card available, just the electron card. Electron is fine for shops and some online (like Amazon) but not good for hotels abroad. You'll get an Electron from the Co-op and Woolwich banks if you're undischarged.

I was allowed (by my Official Receiver) to remain as an additional cardholder on my partners credit card after Big B, it is in their name after all, and they're not bankrupt. This let's me have a totally normal life, and I can travel with work etc. I just don't go out spending stupid amounts like I used to.

I was lucky because we had this card prior to my Big B, and the issuing company either hasn't found out or isn't bothered. I guess if I were to apply as an additional cardholder now some level of credit check in my name would start bells ringing.........but I don't know for sure.

Good luck with everything.
BySonic
#2620 Hello

As Keepchinup said it is possible for a UB to be a second card holder on a partner's credit card. After all, the main cardholder is responsible for ALL debt incurred on that account, so I guess technically it should make no difference to the issuer who has the second card.

However, I have looked into this myself, and have heard that once you're registered as a second card holder with your partner, your credit details are automatically linked - which could of course spell disaster for a partner's credit record.
ByDavidc
sadnskint wrote:Hello

As Keepchinup said it is possible for a UB to be a second card holder on a partner's credit card. After all, the main cardholder is responsible for ALL debt incurred on that account, so I guess technically it should make no difference to the issuer who has the second card.

However, I have looked into this myself, and have heard that once you're registered as a second card holder with your partner, your credit details are automatically linked - which could of course spell disaster for a partner's credit record.

you are correct in what you say as I have both a platinum Morgan Stanley card and a Gold Capital One Card.
The first is excellent as it offers a 1% cashback offer and the second offers an extended one years warrante
I would add that these are as additional to my wifes account.
but I do have my own with a £500 limit I opened in New York on my travels
David
ByDavidc
mrsmith wrote:Having just declared bankrupt I now have my salary paid into my wifes bank account - which is fine for almost everything.

Except my job involves a lot of travel nationally and internationally and whenever I check into a hotel I need to give a credit card (or I used to give my Visa Debit card in some hotels) so then can take against my room if I do a runner ;-)

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so, do you have a solution? For the time being I'll just have to say I don't have a credit card. Are there any bank accounts for undischarged bankrupts which give visa debit cards for example?

Thanks in advance.

I also travel somewhat extensivly and can assure you that the visa electron card ( as provided with the Co-op and the Woolich) are welcome
from personal experiance in France,Spain,Italy,USA,Egypt & Russia ...How far do you want to go?
David
Bymrsmith
#2639 well if you insist............I have to travel to Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Shanghai, Amsterdam, Moscow, Brussels, Milan, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Vienna, Antwerp, Prague, Bratislava, Zagreb, Cologne, Berlin and more before the middle of 2005....you did ask :) so you can see my issue.

Electron sounds good advice.
ByDavidc
mrsmith wrote:well if you insist............I have to travel to Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Shanghai, Amsterdam, Moscow, Brussels, Milan, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Vienna, Antwerp, Prague, Bratislava, Zagreb, Cologne, Berlin and more before the middle of 2005....you did ask :) so you can see my issue.

Electron sounds good advice.
Do not know about the Orieint
but know about the rest... phone the bank and ask them